PDA

View Full Version : Brass in Brisbane

Wizened of Oz
1st November 2005, 08:56 AM
Needed a little brass for a couple of projects and could not find any here on the Sunshine Coast.
Had a day in Brisbane yesterday. Only 2 suppliers of brass sheet and rod in the Brisbane Yellow Pages. I went to George Weston & Sons at Murrarie. "Do you supply small quantities to hobbyists?". "Certainly. Go through that door & ring the brass bell. The storeman will show you the offcuts rack".
Well I got a couple of small sheets, probably last me the rest of my life. Be prepared for price shock, though. $10.50/kg + GST. Doesn't sound a lot but it takes very little brass to be a kg. I felt my 2 sheets were 2 to 3 kg. Wrong! 7kg.

George Weston & Sons, 75 Alexandra Place, Murrarie (very near the Gateway Bridge)

Kind regards
Brian

rodm
1st November 2005, 10:56 PM
Brian
Brass and Aluminium is expensive and there have been fairly hefty price increases in steel too. Recently I paid $100/m for 1 inch brass round solid and for some 200mm by 8mm aluminium plate it was $67/m over here in the West. If you buy it regularly you get used to the prices but when you only purchase occasionally it is a bit of a shock.