PDA

View Full Version : oregon bowls

hughie
1st November 2005, 10:56 AM
Hi All,

I am having a bit of fun over coming fibre tear, I have resharpened the tools, varied the speed and now I am trying some thin laquer. Will give it ago again tomorrow.:confused:

In the mean time, what success has the forum with turning dry oregon? I really like the grain structure and potential look of the bowl. Soooo if anybody has any success or advise to give, much appreciated.

Hughie

macca2
1st November 2005, 11:41 AM
I have only tried turning oregan once. There were a few problems with grain tear out but that was easy compared to sanding.
When I tried sanding to get rid of the tearing the soft grain sanded away and left the hard grain. Resulting in ocean waves. The more I sanded the worse it became.
I ended up returning it as good as I could, followed by little sanding and decided never to try oregan on the lathe again.

Macca

Sir Stinkalot
1st November 2005, 11:48 AM
Same experience here .... when sanding I got ripples rom the ahrd and soft grain ..... never gone back to it again.

ribot
1st November 2005, 04:56 PM
Sharp tools and correct application of tools helps but it's a dusty, unforgiving wood best left to spindle turners in my opinion.

I may be wrong however I think the Oregon you see around these days is the fast grown (wide rings) variety which I would guess is more prone to tearout than the old growth ,tight growth ring variety.

bitingmidge
1st November 2005, 06:21 PM
This was about the second thing I'd ever turned it's about 150mm diameter with 8mm walls (I've since destroyed it getting the thickness down one micron too many) , but with a bit of patience you can use the characteristics of the oregon to advantage.

Don't necessarily expect a glass-smooth finish, use a different timber if you need that!http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=3110

MathewA has done a bit when he lived in Fir country, I don't think his website will be up for much longer, but check out his Chess Set:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/mathewa/Images/Turnings/images/ChessSet1.jpg

Again, use the characteristics of the material rather than trying to make it something it's not.
Cheers,

P

hughie
2nd November 2005, 12:11 AM
Thanks fellas for the advise. I more or less arrived at the same conclusion. A shame as I have some good sized chunks 10x3 some of it very fine growth rings, from a colder climate than Oz. The one I am having some problems with has very coarse growth rings.
I guess I will give a few more goes then move onto something a little easier.

hughie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd November 2005, 12:37 AM
The ones with fine rings are normally old growth (although I guess cold climes would have the same result) and if you're gonna turn oregon, then this is what you want!

It's a bit like radiata pine... plantation timber is crap, but old growth stuff can be truly lovely stuff.

hughie
2nd November 2005, 12:08 PM
Skew,
I have a piece of real fine grade, no doubt from a colder area. [ 250x80x1500] Doubt if its Canadian as its very pale, the Canadian stuff used to have a darker colour to it. The other I will probably toss it out. Thanks for the advise.
Hughie

rsser
5th November 2005, 06:58 AM
The ripple effect from sanding can be minimised with changed sanding technique.

Are you using a powered sanding disc? Try a lighter touch - just skimming - and do your best to angle the sanding edge at 90 degrees to the grain. [Edit, well, at two quadrants on the bowl anyway. And try to get as much of the disc surface against the piece as you can that's compatible with a light touch.]

To minimise tear out from the gouge, try your smallest tool and a light cut with the tool supported as close to the piece as possible. (I'm a fan of curved rests for this purpose).

hughie
9th November 2005, 12:28 AM
Rsser,
Thanks for the tip. I have been using a 50mm disc and so far the corregations have not appeared.
The next attempt will have a go at my smallest gouge, never thought of that. Thanks
Hughie

scooter
9th November 2005, 10:33 PM
Hughie, I'm no turner but would a scraping cut be more effective, or even further, a pronounced burr on the scraper.

If this is crap - ignore - like I sed, I'm no turner!

Good luck.................cheers....................Sean

hughie
11th November 2005, 10:16 AM
Scooter,
Found that razor sharp and a small gouge works fine,just gotta be steady on the hand, no bull at the gate stuff.

hughie :D

scooter
12th November 2005, 09:46 PM
Scooter,
Found that razor sharp and a small gouge works fine,just gotta be steady on the hand, no bull at the gate stuff.

hughie :D

Got it sorted, mate, good on yer. SSSSSttttttteeeeaaaddy on the h-h-hhand , goddit.........:D

Cheers..............Sean, sharp & steady