PDA

View Full Version : should i change my avatar?

doug the slug
2nd November 2005, 11:32 PM
I have received a few requests lately to change my avatar. i have also had comments from members that i should fight to keep my avatar at all costs. i have therefore decided to start this poll and put it to the vote. i am not promising to change anything but if i receive sufficient negative feedback, i may consider it.

I take this opportunity to remind everyone of the signature i originally had posted with this avatar: "This avatar representswhat we are all striving for in our woodwork : beauty, proportion and functionality"

Please note, however, that the majority of requests to change have come from members who rarely if ever post, but use their employer's computers to browse the forum at work. (as an employer i would take a dim view of this abuse of my resources.)

anyway, post away!!!

Poloris
2nd November 2005, 11:58 PM
It seems to me your avatar is a healthy expression of where you are at, or where you want to be. No need for intervention by the thought police.

Leave the slug alone.

Umm I'm psychotic myself.

corbs
3rd November 2005, 12:14 AM
Im feeling the love Doug...

My only complaint is why isnt your avatar on the standard list ;):D

Corbs (who wants a bouncing avatar... my arms are getting sore)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd November 2005, 08:09 AM
Me don't care either way... if it stays I'll just sit back and enjoy the eye-candy. On the other hand, if it's changed I'll also change mine... and I'm sure you can guess what I'd change mine to. :D

Gerstuffen the prudes. If their bosses catch 'em on the forum and give 'em hell I seriously doubt it's 'cos of one avatar!

Iain
3rd November 2005, 08:28 AM
Please note, however, that the majority of requests to change have come from members who rarely if ever post, but use their employer's computers to browse the forum at work.
T.E.F.E

ernknot
3rd November 2005, 08:47 AM
Mankind is not here because of political correctness nor woodwork. It is here because of Dougs Jugs!!!

DPB
3rd November 2005, 08:53 AM
You know my thoughts already, Doug:).

Christopha
3rd November 2005, 09:10 AM
Great fun, harmless fun, sod the wowsers and those who steal time from their employers..... besides, it's always good for a little titter! :p

LETS' HEAR IT FOR DOUGS JUGS!!!!

Andy Mac
3rd November 2005, 09:38 AM
Hi Doug,
I find it very disturbing, and I hardly take in a word you write!:D Not reason enough to change it though....

Cheers,

Termite
3rd November 2005, 09:41 AM
Ah memories, what would we do without them. Keep the avatar Doug, it helps to keep an old heart pumping. :D

Wood Butcher
3rd November 2005, 09:51 AM
Doug,
Your Avatar your choice. If don't mind it and if anyone does they can turn the avatars off in the user cp options!!

craigb
3rd November 2005, 10:26 AM
Personally, I reckon that life is to short to be worrying about someone else's avatar.

Having said that though, I can see that perhaps some of our female members wouldn't be that thrilled by it.

When all is said and done, it's your choice.

BTW, I wonder what ever happened to the previous owner of that avatar, Tankstand?

I haven't seen him around here for a while.

Waldo
3rd November 2005, 10:54 AM
G'day Doug,

If someone doesn't like it - their choice. Personally I think we should shoot political correctness and then blow it up. :D

silentC
3rd November 2005, 11:02 AM
My idea of a good day is when Dougie posts immediately after Landseka in the same thread. Now if someone would just get a nice pair of legs for an avatar, we'd have the full monty!! :D

Zed
3rd November 2005, 11:08 AM
I, I like it.

TEEJAY
3rd November 2005, 11:09 AM
If I was a woman I would love to have a natural set like that - But as I am a mere mortal male with an appreciation for natural beauty I think they look eye catching - even pleasantly distracting.

I wouldn't like to see lots of that stuff here, but a speck of gold in a pile of sand is nice. :)

My wife thought the avatar was funny :) when she first saw it.

Harmless really for us two.

Cheers

AlexS
3rd November 2005, 01:26 PM
Keep 'em Doug. I won't touch 'em if you won't.

DavidG
3rd November 2005, 02:42 PM
SilentC

Now if someone would just get a nice pair of legs for an avatar, we'd have the full monty!!
Like this :D

Kev Y.
3rd November 2005, 04:17 PM
Doug.. I say keep em, that is as long as they really ARN'T YOURS!

That is a mental picture I just can not live with

Sturdee
3rd November 2005, 05:13 PM
I don't like any animated avitar and I find them annoying. But then again I find most avitars to be an expression of sillyness. Very few of them seem to represent the personality of the owner.

So rather than getting upset over them I turned all avitars of on my computer. Seeing that this way none of them annoy me anymore I voted that I don't care either way.

So keep it if you want to Doug and if someone is using their work computer tell them to turn the avitars of or stop stealing time and resources from their employer.

Peter.

Gumby
3rd November 2005, 05:47 PM
I find most avitars to be an expression of sillyness. Very few of them seem to represent the personality of the owner.

phew! For a second there I thought you were talking about me. :)

TEEJAY
3rd November 2005, 05:58 PM
Yeah, counts me out too

MajorPanic
3rd November 2005, 06:12 PM
Doug, Doug, Doug...........

Don't let a few whingers put you off!! I like it & reckon you should hang on to it. :D

Sturdee
3rd November 2005, 06:13 PM
phew! For a second there I thought you were talking about me. :)

No, your avatar represents your username. :D :D

Peter.

craigb
3rd November 2005, 06:16 PM

Peter.

How do you know what his avatar is if you've turned them off? :confused: ;)

Gumby
3rd November 2005, 06:17 PM
I like it & reckon you should hang on to it. :D

How? I don't see any handles. What do you know that we don't ?

:D

How do you know what his avatar is if you've turned them off? :confused: ;)

Deep Craig, very deep. ;)

Termite
3rd November 2005, 06:18 PM
But then again I find most avitars to be an expression of sillyness. Very few of them seem to represent the personality of the owner.
Oh yeah! Read what it says under mine. My favourite tool is the stuffituperer. :D

MajorPanic
3rd November 2005, 06:18 PM
.... But then again I find most avitars to be an expression of sillyness. Very few of them seem to represent the personality of the owner.

If ya can't have a bit of fun when doing something you enjoy it's a sad day. :(

To me an avatar is a visual name & quickly recognisable, then again some written names annoy me no end.

channa
3rd November 2005, 06:21 PM
It's your avatar - you should keep it. That's as much as I'm going to say, cos there's just something wrong with saying "I like your jugs, Doug" http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

echnidna
3rd November 2005, 06:25 PM

Peter.

No Peter,
This should be Gumby's avatar if it had to reflect his username

Gumby
3rd November 2005, 06:33 PM
It's your avatar - you should keep it. That's as much as I'm going to say, cos there's just something wrong with saying "I like your jugs, Doug" http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Shame channa, shame. We had almost completed the first officially recognised poll thread hijack and you put it back on topic.

All that good work gone to waste :(

Tankstand
3rd November 2005, 06:39 PM
BTW, I wonder what ever happened to the previous owner of that avatar, Tankstand?

I haven't seen him around here for a while.

Just visiting daily and only posting occasionally :)

I'm not a prolific poster, I thoroughly enjoy reading all the posts and only "pipe up" when I feel the need or think I can help someone.

(Nice to think I have been missed!) :D

Gumby
3rd November 2005, 06:44 PM
only "pipe up" when I feel the need or think I can help

If I used that criterea, I may as well log off now. :D

Tikki
3rd November 2005, 06:54 PM
Hang on to 'em Doug ... err, I mean keep 'em Doug ... err, well, you know what I mean, they don't offend me at all (got my own under my black T shirt ;) )

Cheers
Tikki :)

Sir Stinkalot
3rd November 2005, 06:59 PM
I voted that I didn’t like it …. Simply because I get sick and tired of all the bloody comments on it.

I have had a gut full of people making comment on it just for the sake of it ……

“Hey Doug in response to your question I use the full range of Ubeaut products …… oh and great jugs!”

I don’t care if it stays or goes but just stop making comments on it.

Oh why was this made a public viewing poll?

himzol
3rd November 2005, 08:56 PM
Yes it definetly should be changed,

I mean how long can one wear black for pete's sake. :rolleyes: perhaps a blue dress. :D :D

ele__13
3rd November 2005, 08:59 PM
Them Boobies ... they is just him and why would u change him ,... they can stay just so long as in a cpl of weeks he doesnt swap me for them 20 yr olds .... love ya babe jules

ian
3rd November 2005, 09:17 PM
I dislike Doug's avitar, I find it distracting, disturbing and potentially offensive, especially if the GIT is about.

BUT just because I dislike it is no reason for Doug to feel he must change it. AND if push comes to shove, Doug has my support to keep it.

ian

you either believe in freedom of expression or you don't.

bitingmidge
3rd November 2005, 09:29 PM
Wot Ian says, but I sort of think it's a tired joke?

Not that I would ever joke with an avatar mind, but I do know that others have in the past, and that's ok for the life of the joke, then make up another joke and give us a break.

Obviously others think it's cleverer than I do. Now if the pics were real not a computer drawing. . . . . . .

cheers,

P
:rolleyes: :D

MajorPanic
3rd November 2005, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by MajorPanic
I like it & reckon you should hang on to it. :D

How? I don't see any handles. What do you know that we don't ?

:D

I don't know any more than you do & I don't see any handles either BUT it'd be heaps of fun trying to hang on ;) :D

Christopha
3rd November 2005, 09:36 PM
Hang on to 'em Doug ... err, I mean keep 'em Doug ... err, well, you know what I mean, they don't offend me at all (got my own under my black T shirt ;) )

Cheers
Tikki :)

Ithought that BUGGER looked a bit stretched......... ;)

doug the slug
3rd November 2005, 09:46 PM
ok ive seen enough public opinion on it already to determine which way to go. only a few people dont like it, and thats their perogative. some of them have avatars i dont like either, but i dont make a big thing about that. many of the ladies who use the forum have given me their support to keep it.

for the benefit of those who wish to view the forum in the public library or at the office at lunch time, utilise teh disable avatar feature, though i cant see why you would have to, the lady concerned is adequately covered for most if not all social situations. if they have a problem with my avatar or any other content on the board, disable it if possible and if not, wait till you get home and use your own computer.

But for now:

Doug's jugs jigglehttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

savage
3rd November 2005, 10:03 PM
Bugger!, I've been watching the avitar so long I missed out on posting!:( For what it's worth, KEEP'EM!....savage(Eric):)

rick_rine
3rd November 2005, 10:06 PM
Good onya doug . !!!