PDA

View Full Version : Which glue?

Wild Dingo
4th November 2005, 04:49 PM
Im going to be doing some laminating shortly so I got to wondering what glue should one use? the pva stuff seems wrong somehow... so any clues?
Cheers!!

Andy Mac
4th November 2005, 05:00 PM
Hi there Wild Dingo!
I've done a bit of laminating, mostly stuff like spotted gum and silver ash, with a bit of softer timber like red cedar, and I reckon a good quality PVA is the way to go. You need a fair bit on hand, something with ample work time, and easy to clean up. Have a brush or throwaway roller to apply it! I started with Bondcrete, which is like a watered down PVA, which worked fine, but now don't buy anything special. Of course if the finished product is intended for outdoors, look at something else like epoxy or Resorcinol.
If you're new to the game, my advice is to get completely setup before you start... have more than enough glue ready, and just when you think you have the right number of clamps at hand, go and grab some more!:eek:

Have a good weekend,

echnidna
4th November 2005, 05:42 PM
Nothing wrong with pva for flat panel laminating.
Laminating curves under high loads such as chair\table legs needs glue without creep including hide glue, epoxy, urea, resorcinol etc ( I wouldn't use urethane for these type high loads either)

AlexS
4th November 2005, 08:59 PM
What Bob said. You could also look at AV 260.