PDA

View Full Version : Removing boat from trailer for repairs

csp
7th November 2005, 10:57 AM
Hi all,

Any information and bagging will be accepted glady. I am new to boat restorations and have a Hartley 20' Cruiser which I am working on. I need to take the boat off the trailer to do some work to the hull. Has anybody got any ideas they could share with me on removing the boat from the trailer safely.

csp

bitingmidge
7th November 2005, 11:36 AM
Depending on what work needs to be done and where you are going to do it:

The easiest way is to "launch" the boat on the ground. Unload it carefully onto some bearers/timber packers under the keel, tilt gently until the stern is on the packers and move the trailer away slowly effectively launching the boat, reload it the same way.

A couple of old mattresses will also help.

Don't try it by yourself.

Cheers,

P :D

csp
7th November 2005, 12:34 PM
thanks for the information

Daddles
7th November 2005, 01:29 PM
You should ask yourself why it needs to come off the trailer. With a Hartley 20, you won't be tossing her upside down to work on her bottom. For example, if repainting and can work around the rollers, leave her where she is and then just move her to get to the bits you couldn't reach.

Richard

csp
7th November 2005, 02:27 PM
Thanks For The Advice

Craig

journeyman Mick
7th November 2005, 11:09 PM
What the Midge said, but I've usually used old car tyres as padding.

Mick

johnc
8th November 2005, 07:40 AM
Same as Mick, old car tyres work a treat. We cheat and tie off with a light rope to a tree and move off slowly. To get it back on the trailer it is easier to remove the trailer from the car and winch back that way. The trailer will tilt right up and make the job an easy one. In effect you are moving the trailer under the boat rather than the other way around. We have done it a couple of times to a 5.8 Cruisecraft and found it quite an easy task.

John

savage
9th November 2005, 02:03 PM
Dunno' if it's any help, but when I've taken my boat off it's trailer 18' tinnie with 2 x 50hp's on the back, I found lots of tyres was the easiest and when it came time to put it back on I wet the tyres and lots of dishwashing detergent to give it plenty of slip and as said above winch it up with the trailer standing alone. The more heavy duty the tyres for the keel the better.
savage(Eric):)

Aberdeen
19th February 2006, 05:19 PM
Hi CSP
I might have missed it somewhere but what version Hartley boat are you restoring?
Maybe a 'Voyager or Ripple' ???

Always interested in Hartley boats

Glenn

All welcome at a new group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hartley_boats/

Regards
Aberdeen

Hi all,

Any information and bagging will be accepted glady. I am new to boat restorations and have a Hartley 20' Cruiser which I am working on. I need to take the boat off the trailer to do some work to the hull. Has anybody got any ideas they could share with me on removing the boat from the trailer safely.

csp