PDA

View Full Version : Removing Hide Glue

DaveInOz
9th November 2005, 02:56 PM
I have an old card table that has had the top refitted (badly) in the past, the restorer filled the channel and rebate with hide glue to sit the top on. Sort of like sticky silicon bog !!
The good news is I could just pop the top off, bad news is I have litres (okay not litres, but it is a lot) of glue to remove, including from in a 2-3mm channel (I guess where the original fabric cover was fixed).
Scraping is taking ages and the glue is rubbery and I'm weary of removeing wood, not to mention the claret when the scraper slips :o .

Do I have a point to make, well no, but I do have a question:
How do I remove the glue ??

Bodgy
9th November 2005, 03:43 PM
As I remember from school, we had to heat up the old animal glue in pots. Ergo, logically, heat would melt it again. Yes? So hot air gun and lots of rags.

Wood Butcher
9th November 2005, 04:37 PM
Hot air might do the job, but if you can afford for the table to get wet, one of the best ways to do it is to pour boiling water on to the glue. It dissolves fairly readily.

Sturdee
9th November 2005, 05:00 PM
I've used a houshold steam cleaner for that. Gives heat and moisture.

Peter.

DaveInOz
10th November 2005, 02:07 PM
thanks guys I'll give it a go when i next get some shed time.

bucket1
13th November 2005, 05:20 PM
I often have to clean off large areas of old hide glue and usually just scrape it off if it is old and dry enough or wash it off with boiling water or use a hot iron to "kill" it. (makes it go powdery and very easy to remove).