PDA

View Full Version : ????? corian

Hambone
9th November 2005, 04:51 PM
Hi ,
I am trying to locate a source in the Perth Metro area that can supply small off cuts of white corian . I have found a couple but they say the will loose their contract if they sell any small pieces .They won't even let me into their scrap bins. I want to cut it to 9mm square by 25mm long .

scooter
9th November 2005, 10:55 PM
Gday Hambone, yeah I've heard that Dupont really control the product via their sellers.

What about trying a few more, but take in 1/2 a dozen stubbies (on a warm day, all the better :) ) and reassure them that you won't advertise where you got the corian from.

I have scrollsawn & routed it for projects, it works a dream, sort of a "buttery" feel to machine.

Good luck..............cheers...........Sean

Glue and Screw
10th November 2005, 07:39 AM
Gday Hambone

There are other very similar products in this material.
Go to a cabinet maker and ask what other brands are available.
I know another product over this way is HYTEX. And you do not need to be a specified fabricator.

Cheers
Marty

Hambone
10th November 2005, 03:56 PM
Hi Glue & screw and Scooter,
The trouble with a six pack is trying to get it passed the shiny bums at the front counter .As to Hytex I haven't heard of that but there is a lot of things I haven't heard of so I will check that out for sure. Thanks for the suggestions much appreciated

scooter
10th November 2005, 08:20 PM
There's the problem, mate, don't go in the front door, go straight into the workshop (pretend you didn't know better :) )

Cheers...........Sean

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th November 2005, 11:49 PM
Are you after a continuous supply, or just a few bits for a project?

If the latter, PM me and I might be able to help you out.

rodent
11th November 2005, 01:45 AM
ham bone what colour do you want tell skewchidamn hell scronge it from me

hcbph
12th November 2005, 12:57 AM
Can you do some dumpster diving? Once it's thrown away, most places don't mind if you remove it from the trash. Ask first and most places don't mind as long as you don't make a mess. Be careful so you don't impale yourself on something in there also and use gloves just in case.

Paul

Hambone
14th November 2005, 04:40 PM
Hi,
Thanks for all of the input .Unfortunately my need for white corian is only when requested by the ladies for whom I make the lace bobbins .I use it as a imitation bone inserts in the bobbins .

Thanks again,
Ron

Greg Q
14th November 2005, 06:34 PM
Why don't you just use real bone? My local butcher is a lot less precious about his offcuts than the Corian guy ;-)

Hambone
15th November 2005, 04:09 PM
Hi,
Thanks for your suggestion re the butcher and bone .Unfortunately I am unable to find cattle bones that are 9mm thick .Believe me I have tried.
Regards ,
Ron

Greg Q
15th November 2005, 04:13 PM
What did they use originally? Whale bone? Ivory?

So is 9mm the max dia you need?

Greg

Greg Q
15th November 2005, 04:16 PM
I'm sure that I have an article here somewhere about this very thing. If I can find it I'll post again with a (perhaps this time) usefull tip.

Greg

Hambone
15th November 2005, 04:18 PM
Hi,
It would appear from my research that there is very little calcium in our soils so the cattle bone don't get very thick .In England the cattle bone is much thicker and it is there that most of the bone bobbins are made .
Regards ,
Ron

Greg Q
15th November 2005, 04:30 PM
Man! First the soils give us abrasive hardwoods and now cows with osteoporosis!
Here's a thought: Kangaroos must have some serious bone density-maybe your butcher has/can get some of that?

Greg

Hambone
15th November 2005, 04:37 PM
Hi Greg,
We are going to stop meeting like this the neighbours are beginning to talk. Sorry roo bones are very thin. The only bone I have not been able to have a look at was camel .They were being shot for dog food but that has now stopped .I just can't win

Ron

marker
15th November 2005, 06:11 PM
If you go to a Corian fabricator and ask for some colour samples they are 50 x50x12 mm
Mark

Tony Morton
15th November 2005, 10:02 PM
Hi Hambone
You might try initation or feau ivory I believe Lazadarie Timbers in Qld now stock it, or you might try a fiberglass supplier they often have plastics that can be turned.
Cheers Tony

Hambone
16th November 2005, 04:53 PM
Hi Mark & Tony,
Thank you for your inputs. The Workshops I have tried now know me so I would have to send in "the leader of the opposition and minister for war in our house" but I think they would have seen her in my car .As for the product you are suggesting Tony if it is an epoxy resin then its not suitable for my miniture work .Hopefully "rodent" may be able to help me out .
Regards ,
Ron