PDA

View Full Version : Is a long post a good post?

craigb
13th November 2005, 09:43 PM
Well?

echnidna
13th November 2005, 09:47 PM
Depends on what sort of tree the post came from:D :D

Auld Bassoon
13th November 2005, 09:53 PM
Well?

A post should be just as long as it needs to be to get its point across, preferably with a touch of humour or wit added, but no longer.

My 2c worth:)

Cheers!

DavidG
13th November 2005, 10:01 PM
Sometimes.

Waldo
13th November 2005, 10:04 PM
G'day Craigb,

Do you want a long answer or the short? :D

Waldo
13th November 2005, 10:05 PM
N :d

Driver
13th November 2005, 10:07 PM
Well?

Very well thanks, Craig. A little tired after emceeing a wedding reception last night but otherwise very spruce. :D

Back on topic: I have been guilty of long posts and, whilst I always enjoy reading my own golden prose :rolleyes:, I tend to skip long ones written by others (we-e-ll, some others, anyway).

In truth, it depends entirely on how interesting they are. Some short ones are a dead-set waste of cyber-space.

Col

boban
13th November 2005, 10:14 PM
Would it depend on whether your name ended in 2K?

craigb
13th November 2005, 10:14 PM
Very well thanks, Craig. A little tired after emceeing a wedding reception last night but otherwise very spruce. :D

Back on topic: I have been guilty of long posts and, whilst I always enjoy reading my own golden prose :rolleyes:, I tend to skip long ones written by others (we-e-ll, some others, anyway).

In truth, it depends entirely on how interesting they are. Some short ones are a dead-set waste of cyber-space.

Col

Col,
I always read every word of your posts - no, really ;) :)

If (rarely) they aren't enlightening, it's London to a brick that they are amusing. :D

Craig

PS to ,
Would you be so kind as to fix my typo? Where it says ny I meant my .
Ta
Craig

Barry_White
13th November 2005, 10:25 PM
A long post is fine as others have said as long as it is ledgible and that it it is well layed out with paragraphs and sentences are no more than about six lines long so that it is easy to read.

If it is not like that I don't bother reading them.

craigb
13th November 2005, 10:31 PM
A long post is fine as others have said as long as it is ledgible and that it it is well layed out with paragraphs and sentences are no more than about six lines long so that it is easy to read.

No, me neither.

Sturdee
13th November 2005, 10:33 PM

I agree, sometimes it is necessary to make a long post to adequately cover the subject. Then paragraphing is essential.

Ofcourse if your name ends with 2K I will ignore it, even if it's short.:p

Peter.

bitingmidge
13th November 2005, 10:36 PM
Length doesn't matter.

P
:) :) :)

RETIRED
13th November 2005, 11:47 PM
PS to ,
Would you be so kind as to fix my typo? Where it says ny I meant my .
Ta
Craig

Done.

Wongo
14th November 2005, 12:06 AM
short and sweet.:cool:

Harry72
14th November 2005, 12:19 AM
Agree with Baz W.

ozwinner
14th November 2005, 07:53 AM
Length doesn't matter.

P

So they recon stumpy. :eek:

Al :D

Termite
14th November 2005, 08:25 AM
Length doesn't matter.:) :) :)
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

silentC
14th November 2005, 08:42 AM
Empty vessels make the most sound. You know I'm right ;)

I don't bother with the 'stream of consciousness' posts that appear from time to time.

Grunt
14th November 2005, 09:44 AM
John, by the grace of God, king of England, lord of Ireland, duke of Normandy and Aquitaine, and count of Anjou, to the archbishop, bishops, abbots, earls, barons, justiciaries, foresters, sheriffs, stewards, servants, and to all his bailiffs and liege subjects, greetings. Know that, having regard to God and for the salvation of our soul, and those of all our ancestors and heirs, and unto the honor of God and the advancement of his holy Church and for the rectifying of our realm, we have granted as underwritten by advice of our venerable fathers, Stephen, archbishop of Canterbury, primate of all England and cardinal of the holy Roman Church, Henry, archbishop of Dublin, William of London, Peter of Winchester, Jocelyn of Bath and Glastonbury, Hugh of Lincoln, Walter of Worcester, William of Coventry, Benedict of Rochester, bishops; of Master Pandulf, subdeacon and member of the household of our lord the Pope, of brother Aymeric (master of the Knights of the Temple in England), and of the illustrious men William Marshal, earl of Pembroke, William, earl of Salisbury, William, earl of Warenne, William, earl of Arundel, Alan of Galloway (constable of Scotland), Waren Fitz Gerold, Peter Fitz Herbert, Hubert De Burgh (seneschal of Poitou), Hugh de Neville, Matthew Fitz Herbert, Thomas Basset, Alan Basset, Philip d'Aubigny, Robert of Roppesley, John Marshal, John Fitz Hugh, and others, our liegemen. 1. In the first place we have granted to God, and by this our present charter confirmed for us and our heirs forever that the English Church shall be free, and shall have her rights entire, and her liberties inviolate; and we will that it be thus observed; which is apparent from this that the freedom of elections, which is reckoned most important and very essential to the English Church, we, of our pure and unconstrained will, did grant, and did by our charter confirm and did obtain the ratification of the same from our lord, Pope Innocent III, before the quarrel arose between us and our barons: and this we will observe, and our will is that it be observed in good faith by our heirs forever. We have also granted to all freemen of our kingdom, for us and our heirs forever, all the underwritten liberties, to be had and held by them and their heirs, of us and our heirs forever.
2. If any of our earls or barons, or others holding of us in chief by military service shall have died, and at the time of his death his heir shall be full of age and owe "relief", he shall have his inheritance by the old relief, to wit, the heir or heirs of an earl, for the whole baroncy of an earl by L100; the heir or heirs of a baron, L100 for a whole barony; the heir or heirs of a knight, 100s, at most, and whoever owes less let him give less, according to the ancient custom of fees.
3. If, however, the heir of any one of the aforesaid has been under age and in wardship, let him have his inheritance without relief and without fine when he comes of age.
4. The guardian of the land of an heir who is thus under age, shall take from the land of the heir nothing but reasonable produce, reasonable customs, and reasonable services, and that without destruction or waste of men or goods; and if we have committed the wardship of the lands of any such minor to the sheriff, or to any other who is responsible to us for its issues, and he has made destruction or waster of what he holds in wardship, we will take of him amends, and the land shall be committed to two lawful and discreet men of that fee, who shall be responsible for the issues to us or to him to whom we shall assign them; and if we have given or sold the wardship of any such land to anyone and he has therein made destruction or waste, he shall lose that wardship, and it shall be transferred to two lawful and discreet men of that fief, who shall be responsible to us in like manner as aforesaid.
5. The guardian, moreover, so long as he has the wardship of the land, shall keep up the houses, parks, fishponds, stanks, mills, and other things pertaining to the land, out of the issues of the same land; and he shall restore to the heir, when he has come to full age, all his land, stocked with ploughs and wainage, according as the season of husbandry shall require, and the issues of the land can reasonable bear.
6. Heirs shall be married without disparagement, yet so that before the marriage takes place the nearest in blood to that heir shall have notice.
7. A widow, after the death of her husband, shall forthwith and without difficulty have her marriage portion and inheritance; nor shall she give anything for her dower, or for her marriage portion, or for the inheritance which her husband and she held on the day of the death of that husband; and she may remain in the house of her husband for forty days after his death, within which time her dower shall be assigned to her.
8. No widow shall be compelled to marry, so long as she prefers to live without a husband; provided always that she gives security not to marry without our consent, if she holds of us, or without the consent of the lord of whom she holds, if she holds of another.

echnidna
14th November 2005, 09:54 AM
Magna Carta????

ozwinner
14th November 2005, 09:57 AM
Nah.
Thats Grunts pre Nup.

Al :D

Barry_White
14th November 2005, 10:39 AM
John, by the grace of God, king of England, lord of Ireland, duke of Normandy and Aquitaine, and count of Anjou, to the archbishop, bishops, abbots, earls, barons, justiciaries, foresters, sheriffs, stewards, servants, and to all his bailiffs and liege subjects, greetings. Know that, having regard to God and for the salvation of our soul, and those of all our ancestors and heirs, and unto the honor of God and the advancement of his holy Church and for the rectifying of our realm, we have granted as underwritten by advice of our venerable fathers, Stephen, archbishop of Canterbury, primate of all England and cardinal of the holy Roman Church, Henry, archbishop of Dublin, William of London, Peter of Winchester, Jocelyn of Bath and Glastonbury, Hugh of Lincoln, Walter of Worcester, William of Coventry, Benedict of Rochester, bishops; of Master Pandulf, subdeacon and member of the household of our lord the Pope, of brother Aymeric (master of the Knights of the Temple in England), and of the illustrious men William Marshal, earl of Pembroke, William, earl of Salisbury, William, earl of Warenne, William, earl of Arundel, Alan of Galloway (constable of Scotland), Waren Fitz Gerold, Peter Fitz Herbert, Hubert De Burgh (seneschal of Poitou), Hugh de Neville, Matthew Fitz Herbert, Thomas Basset, Alan Basset, Philip d'Aubigny, Robert of Roppesley, John Marshal, John Fitz Hugh, and others, our liegemen. 1. In the first place we have granted to God, and by this our present charter confirmed for us and our heirs forever that the English Church shall be free, and shall have her rights entire, and her liberties inviolate; and we will that it be thus observed; which is apparent from this that the freedom of elections, which is reckoned most important and very essential to the English Church, we, of our pure and unconstrained will, did grant, and did by our charter confirm and did obtain the ratification of the same from our lord, Pope Innocent III, before the quarrel arose between us and our barons: and this we will observe, and our will is that it be observed in good faith by our heirs forever. We have also granted to all freemen of our kingdom, for us and our heirs forever, all the underwritten liberties, to be had and held by them and their heirs, of us and our heirs forever.
2. If any of our earls or barons, or others holding of us in chief by military service shall have died, and at the time of his death his heir shall be full of age and owe "relief", he shall have his inheritance by the old relief, to wit, the heir or heirs of an earl, for the whole baroncy of an earl by L100; the heir or heirs of a baron, L100 for a whole barony; the heir or heirs of a knight, 100s, at most, and whoever owes less let him give less, according to the ancient custom of fees.
3. If, however, the heir of any one of the aforesaid has been under age and in wardship, let him have his inheritance without relief and without fine when he comes of age.
4. The guardian of the land of an heir who is thus under age, shall take from the land of the heir nothing but reasonable produce, reasonable customs, and reasonable services, and that without destruction or waste of men or goods; and if we have committed the wardship of the lands of any such minor to the sheriff, or to any other who is responsible to us for its issues, and he has made destruction or waster of what he holds in wardship, we will take of him amends, and the land shall be committed to two lawful and discreet men of that fee, who shall be responsible for the issues to us or to him to whom we shall assign them; and if we have given or sold the wardship of any such land to anyone and he has therein made destruction or waste, he shall lose that wardship, and it shall be transferred to two lawful and discreet men of that fief, who shall be responsible to us in like manner as aforesaid.
5. The guardian, moreover, so long as he has the wardship of the land, shall keep up the houses, parks, fishponds, stanks, mills, and other things pertaining to the land, out of the issues of the same land; and he shall restore to the heir, when he has come to full age, all his land, stocked with ploughs and wainage, according as the season of husbandry shall require, and the issues of the land can reasonable bear.
6. Heirs shall be married without disparagement, yet so that before the marriage takes place the nearest in blood to that heir shall have notice.
7. A widow, after the death of her husband, shall forthwith and without difficulty have her marriage portion and inheritance; nor shall she give anything for her dower, or for her marriage portion, or for the inheritance which her husband and she held on the day of the death of that husband; and she may remain in the house of her husband for forty days after his death, within which time her dower shall be assigned to her.
8. No widow shall be compelled to marry, so long as she prefers to live without a husband; provided always that she gives security not to marry without our consent, if she holds of us, or without the consent of the lord of whom she holds, if she holds of another.

Like I said not worth reading.

echnidna
14th November 2005, 12:51 PM
So WHO is the sheriff Grunt?

and BTW

I see no mention of Robin Hood:D :D

AlexS
14th November 2005, 01:20 PM
It's the quality, not the quantity, that counts. Posts should be as long as they need to be, and no longer.

Cliff Rogers
14th November 2005, 01:26 PM
Grunt, that's a good point, but what do YOU really think?

TEEJAY
14th November 2005, 02:17 PM
Grunt2k,

I hope you copied the text and didn't have to type all that dribble (I mean wisdom) :rolleyes:

Cheers

Wood Borer
14th November 2005, 02:50 PM
It depends on the topic.

A technical post may need to be detailed if the process is complex but the use of photos helps considerably for both brevity and clarity.

Bodgy
14th November 2005, 02:59 PM
Grunt2k,

I hope you copied the text and didn't have to type all that dribble (I mean wisdom) :rolleyes:

Cheers

Magna Carta = Dribble?????

It's refreshing to have such a breadth of opinion on the Forum. I suspect King John shared the sentiment.

doug the slug
14th November 2005, 05:59 PM

You B@st@rd, grunt, I w@s just going to s@y th@thttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Ratbag Oz
14th November 2005, 06:59 PM
Length doesn't matter.

P
........ It's what you do with it that counts.......

Yes that is a double innuendo, but true in all cases.........
:p

Wild Dingo
15th November 2005, 12:39 PM
As me ol mate Wongo says so righteously "short an sweet"

BUT THEN AGAIN!!

Ive on occasion had occasion to let me mind wander to extrapolate on an intial point made to make understanding clear to all and sundry about the point first made although whilst extrapolating on the first point somewhere it becomes lost within the extrapolations and explainations and so I have to keep wandering around until it comes back..

BUT THEN AGAIN!!!

Ive also on occasion just let me fingers do the talking... sorta put me mind in another place were all you blokes and sheilas are sittin around a table and were yarnin over a few good oils... and well the convo just flows right along

BUT THEN AGAIN!!!

Ive been known to write short and sweet posts from time to time

sorta all depends on me mood as to how much or how little I write... and whether or not I want information or a problem fixed if so its short and sweet preferably with pics... if Im in the mood for a yarn or phissed about something then... well then it has been known to run for a full page!! :eek:

silentC
15th November 2005, 12:44 PM
Yes, we've noticed ;)

savage
15th November 2005, 01:39 PM
I think along the lines of those that have already mentioned that depending on what is being put across determines the lenght of the post. Sometimes a few words and a picture are enough other times it is not as it requires more information.

But wait theres more!......:eek: :eek:

Na! I was just joshin'!:D :D

savage(Eric):) :p

Wongo
15th November 2005, 10:32 PM
Dingo, quit drinking mate.:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th November 2005, 11:21 PM
I could possibly get away with the occasional short, concise post of simply "Yes."

But there's always the smartarses who'll point out that a shorter, more concise post would be "No."

:(

Christopha
17th November 2005, 01:14 PM
Long posts

Christopha
17th November 2005, 01:19 PM
Schidt me

Christopha
17th November 2005, 01:20 PM
to tears!