PDA

View Full Version : It's like falling off a bike...

haemish762
14th November 2005, 07:01 PM
Hello everyone, i am now the proud owner of an mc900 with nova2 chuck. After putting together the mechano stand and bolting on the lathe i set about creating wood shavings form some scrap pieces of Jacaranda.
The first attempt was like falling off a bike, painful and ugly. So i donated it to the pile of shavings.
Once i realised what i had done wrong (it has been nearly 10 years since i last picked up a chisel) i tried again.... PRESTO... something that resmbles something. It's about the diameter of a lawn bowls bowl.

I hope the pics come through ok. i am reasonably happy with my first attampt, everyone has to start somewhere!

..... now what do i finish it with.... PAINT!!!!????

Cheers Haemish

Captain Chaos
14th November 2005, 10:38 PM
G'day Haemish,
Welcome back to the woodturning school of fine shavings.:) Nothin wrong with that for a first effort. Perhaps you could use Liming Wax to finish the bowl. It tends to bring out the grain pattern in light, bland timbers. I've seen it used on ash, jacaranda & desert ash with quite pleasing results.
Keep on turning.
Barry.

Utuk_Xul
15th November 2005, 01:41 AM
Good job. I'm really liking the blue on these MC900's. Mine is green... Maybe it's time for a new paint job...

Wild Dingo
15th November 2005, 02:12 AM
Well done Haemish!!

I did my first ever lathe thing the other week and was totally over the moon... what I did wasnt anything just whirled the wood and placed the chisels onto it really but whoooooooooooooooeeeeeeee!! was I impressed! :cool:

Did my second ever turning the other day and ended up with a lovely Huon Pine fragrance bottle thing for my 12 year old daughter WAS I IMPRESSED!!! :cool:

Went out there again today and did a few more turns and ended up with 8 spokes for a ships wheel... actually this is my fourth ever go with the lathe but the spokes from yesty were a mess so Im ignoring that... anyway today I was impressed!! :cool:

What Ive done though is simple between centres turning of peices of timber squared and about 12in long... what I havent done is what you have done! Cause basically I havent worked out how to use the flamin Supanova chuck thing yet! :mad:

But when I do I think I will be like you are... IMPRESSED!! :cool:

So thats what Jaccaranda looks like eh?? mmmm can see some serious pruning happening around the missus garden shortly :p

Well done!! :cool: