PDA

View Full Version : Australian Woodworker Competitions - Yes/No?

Sir Stinkalot
16th November 2005, 10:00 PM
Why does the Australian Woodworker continually run competitions that require you to cut up the magazine and send in coupons to enter?

At the moment they are running a promotion for 20 prizes for 20 winners to celebrate their 20th anniversary. The competition requires you to cut out a coupon (60x100mm) from the magazine, fill in the missing letters and then post in. Previously they have had the “ultimate workshop” competition.

The rules clearly state that only original coupons will be accepted. The entry details will be made available for marketing purposes for the sponsors.

I have a real issue with cutting holes in my magazines, which I keep for reference material, to enable me to enter the competitions. In the current issue the coupon backs onto their “shavings” article so if you cut it out you ruin the article for future reading. It is not the same as chopping out a page of New Idea which gets thrown away at the end of the week.

What is wrong with photocopying the coupon? As the details get entered into a database for the sponsors any multiple entries from the same person/address can quickly be deleted. There will be more entries into the competition that will prove to be better value for the sponsors. I am sure that there will be some people that register family or friends under different names and addresses but surely the increased number of legitimate entries would outweigh this and would still be of benefit to sponsors.

It seems a shame to miss out on entry to what looks like a good competition because of this stupid rule.

It would be interesting to know how effective these types of competitions are.
Do you enter these types of magazine competitions?

echnidna
16th November 2005, 10:29 PM
As they just don't value the mag they publish they obviously don't think their readers value the mag either.

Dean
17th November 2005, 10:56 AM
"The entry details will be made available for marketing purposes for the sponsors."

Personally, I avoid anything that even remotely mentions the above text. Im not saying this magazine would do it, but a lot of other competition promoters sell your details to marketing companies resulting in you getting hounded by telemarketers. The most notable are those "win a car" competitions at the larger shopping centres. Your "freë" entry is not actually free. You are paying with time you will spend taking telemarketer calls (often from india) when the promoter sells your personal details to innumerable firms, and they make a pretty penny in the process.

RufflyRustic
17th November 2005, 11:09 AM
Maybe they want to get an idea of the number of people who buy their magazine. It would be an idea or guesstimate only as there would be many people who buy the magazine but wouldn't send in the coupon.

Just a thought
cheers
RufflyRustic

Rocker
17th November 2005, 12:55 PM
I am a bit disgusted that a woodworking magazine should run a 'competition' that is essentially a lottery, since no skill or intelligence is required of the competitor. I cannot see why they can't run a competition that requires the competitor to make something, and which does not require them to agree to be inundated with junk mail.

Rocker

dan_tom
17th November 2005, 03:51 PM
I got annoyed with a woodworking magazine recently when I went to subscribe and was sent an accompanying letter that was addressed "Dear Sir". :mad: Easily solved, they could address their stationery as "Dear Customer" and not alienate the female woodworkers out there.... :cool: so my preference is to cut the entire magazine up into shreds!!!:eek:

Cheers
Danielle

Gumby
17th November 2005, 04:00 PM
since no skill or intelligence is required of the competitor.

That gives me a chance though. :(

I got annoyed with a woodworking magazine recently when I went to subscribe and was sent an accompanying letter that was addressed "Dear Sir". :mad:

My wife opens those. I get the ones "To the householder"

Kev Y.
17th November 2005, 05:00 PM
That gives me a chance though. :(

My wife opens those. I get the ones "To the householder"

Funny I keep getting ones for some bloke called "BILL":o :o

as for the competition.. I have in the past entered the one run by "Aus Wood" but at the moment can not get interested in this one, besides I never have any luck with competitions like this..

The last time I "won" something, look what happened, still paying the solicitor and trying to re-build my life:p

By the way I didnt vote

MeTaBo MaN
17th November 2005, 05:04 PM
I don't mind competitions, But like that Arbotech comp you needed to own a mini chisel just to have a go at entering it :mad:

Sturdee
17th November 2005, 05:10 PM
By the way I didnt vote

Neither did I. I don't think that the magazine is worth buying.

I glance at it in the library and read the odd article that may interest me and see what is on special offer that month.

Peter.

Sturdee
17th November 2005, 05:13 PM
letter that was addressed "Dear Sir". :mad:
Cheers
Danielle

And when they send one to Tom I suppose they address it as "Dear Madam".:D :D :D

Peter.

Sir Stinkalot
17th November 2005, 09:03 PM
I am a bit disgusted that a woodworking magazine should run a 'competition' that is essentially a lottery, since no skill or intelligence is required of the competitor. I cannot see why they can't run a competition that requires the competitor to make something, and which does not require them to agree to be inundated with junk mail.

Rocker

I cant complain as I won a new $1000+ SCMS for being a subscriber with Australian Wood Review a few years ago :D

A competition of skill requires time to actually make something ..... who has time for that? It seems that most of the winners of skill competions are the best entries as they have all the tools they require to make a quality product.

I look forward to reading the article, no matter how heavily edited, on the blackwood cd cabinet on the weekend with a coffee following a sleepin :)

As for selling the details to the sponsor I don't mind that as they seem to be woodworking related ... which after all is what I am interested in. As for the oversees marketing calls I am at work all day and the answering machine doesn't record hangups so I never hear from them :D

Kev Y.
17th November 2005, 10:05 PM
Neither did I. I don't think that the magazine is worth buying.

I glance at it in the library and read the odd article that may interest me and see what is on special offer that month.

Peter.

Unfortunately I took out a two year subscription with them.. :( :( However IF this crap keeps up, I will be calling to cancell it.:mad:

Cliff Rogers
17th November 2005, 11:56 PM
...The rules clearly state that only original coupons will be accepted. .....I have a real issue with cutting holes in my magazines, ....grizzle, whitch, binge, moan.....

Arhhh quit ya moaning & go & tear the page out of one at the newagent or the library like every one else does. :D

oges
18th November 2005, 07:59 AM
I cant see them changing the rules, probably think you will distribute photocopies to all your mates or something.

For now the only option would appear to be photocopy the article on the back of the coupon before you carve up the pages

Zed
18th November 2005, 08:46 AM
they are very clever - multiple entries means multiple sales. you cant blame them really from a business point of view - everyone wants bang for buck - including yours....

personnally dont like that mag - I prefer AWR.

cheers

echnidna
18th November 2005, 09:38 AM
Why not email them about it, and give them the link address to this thread. Other mags use an inclusion so you don't stuff up yer pages.

If you do email them also include the weird stuff link so they can see the many perfectly unbiased views about their mag articles.