PDA

View Full Version : mods to a MC1100 for out board turning

hughie
17th November 2005, 11:02 AM
Hi All,
I found that the out board turning set on my MC1100 was not all that good. So I have added some mods, all made in-house from 25mm ms bar and 32mm steam pipe.
With this setup I have successfully turned up to 360mm dia with no appreciable chatter.
Nothing fancy but works very well and is easy to knock up.
hughie

bsrlee
18th November 2005, 12:26 AM
Good work.

Now when are you going to offer a kit for a long rest - say 900 or 1100 long, with 2 banjo' s to suit the Taiwanese lathes?:D

hughie
18th November 2005, 12:40 AM
Hmmm,
well I had not given it any thought. I have made a fair amount of stuff for the lathe over the last few months.

Maybe I should put a few more pics up, dunno how much interest there would be,had a few stunning stuff ups. Buried one tool design about 20mm into some green timber brought everything to a thundering stop and frightened the living daylights out of myself in the process....lol

Much of it cos i can and in doing so save some $$$$ for the more important stuff like chucks etc.
hughie

Mulgabill
18th November 2005, 05:10 PM
Good work.

Now when are you going to offer a kit for a long rest - say 900 or 1100 long, with 2 banjo' s to suit the Taiwanese lathes?:D
I often wish that I had such a long tool rest for my 1100, but dont have the facilities or knowledge to make one myself.

bsrlee
18th November 2005, 11:49 PM
Definitely interested Hughie:)

hughie
19th November 2005, 12:20 AM
Hi,

To make the extended tool rest is not so difficult if you have access to a saw that can cut steel ie the 25mm sq I used as the basis and a welder.
I'll crank up the digi camera again and put some more pics up over the weekend.
I have got rid of the vaiable speed drive supplied with the lathe and fitted an inverter, as yet I have not got a three step pulley set up. I have one three step pulley still looking for another, most I find are four step. May well use a four step, maybe just cut the fourth step off. The MC1100 does not have alot space to fit pulleys into the headstock, so will see how it goes.
hughie

rsser
19th November 2005, 08:02 AM
For Vic readers: John Garcia on Westerport bay makes custom rests btw - out of hardened steel rod. They can be ordered through Get Woodworking in Williamstown. Long ones are available, braced to fit one banjo.

A pic of my collection below (with a stray Vicmarc).

(Edited 8.02am).

hughie
19th November 2005, 12:03 PM
Hi All,
Further pics of my efforts to improve my MC1100.
The inverter is not shown its hanging above the lathe, as yet I have to put it in an enclosure. Also have yet to fit the three step pulleys and change the motor mount for speed change.
Of the tool rest I find the right angle one very handy in roughing out in the beginning, less tool rest adjustments. The others are just made up to meet a particular need at the time.

hughie

hughie
19th November 2005, 12:09 PM
Hi rsser [Ern]

Having somebody to make custom tool rests would be handy. Dont know of anybody in Sydney. Hence I had a go at myself, so far so good.
Its all ways interesting to see what some body else's idea's turn up.

cheers

hughie

rsser
19th November 2005, 04:06 PM
Sure is Hughie.

Your right-angled rest is a neat idea.

Always more than one way to skin a cat.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th November 2005, 11:57 PM
Hmmm... methinks I'll have to pinch the idea of the right-angled rest. Have a greenie. :)

I'm also accumulating a collection of rests, I've found the ones made from round bar move the tool support/pivot point too far away from the workface for me when doing spindle or external turning though. I prefer the more traditional bevelled top plate then.

Round bar's great for hollowing though, the height needed for strength in traditional rests can make 'em awkward when turning deep but narrow mouthed forms.

hughie
21st November 2005, 11:16 AM
I'm also accumulating a collection of rests, I've found the ones made from round bar move the tool support/pivot point too far away from the workface for me when doing spindle or external turning though. I prefer the more traditional bevelled top plate then.

Round bar's great for hollowing though, the height needed for strength in traditional rests can make 'em awkward when turning deep but narrow mouthed forms.[/quote]

I agree with the flat bar and spindles, tho' dont do much of it myself. As for deep and narrow I knocked another type for that, outa sq bar. Hmm thought I put a pic up of that one, will get around to it shortly.
huhgie

hughie
21st November 2005, 11:52 AM
Hi, Here's the rest of the pics, tool rests etc. The bowl is industrial load bearing plywood, just about bullet proof.
hughie

hughie
21st November 2005, 11:57 AM
Ooops only five pics at time, sorry here's the last of em. bowl included hughie

Dave52
21st November 2005, 01:16 PM
Nice work Hughie

I also like to muck around with spare bits and dodgy ideas.

Regards
dave52

hughie
22nd November 2005, 12:01 AM
Hi Dave, Yep! you can do quite alot with a little imagination. I have knocked about half of my turning tools up in the garage, with HSS inserts from metal turning gear. Some work well, some are lemons, but not to worry, it keeps me off the streets....lol
hughie