PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a Ryobi table saw (HPT 255L)

antisense
17th November 2005, 12:45 PM
Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying the Ryobi HPT 255L from bunning for $250.

Just wondering if anyone else has used this product. Any comments?

Cheers in advance.

antisense ^_^

Termite
17th November 2005, 12:48 PM
Any comments?
http://www.ubeaut.biz/bash.gif

anthonyd
17th November 2005, 12:57 PM
Antisense,

I bought the GMC one - the one that folds away and is on wheels. Took it back th enext day to swop ir for the ryobi since the GMC is too plastic and was just crap!

Anyway after having the ryobi for a week I decided it was really a piece of crap too and got rid of it and ended up buying a contractor's saw from carbatec. Ok it is not a TSC10-HB but for $650 it is better than a certain orange TS and works nicely.

The ryobi was really not all that good - table surface a bit on the small side, noisy as all hell and (the worst) the fence is very unreliable.

antisense
17th November 2005, 03:48 PM
Oh :)

Thanks for that.. It sucks majorly being on such a crappy budget..

I guess there's no point buying it if it's not going to do the job right.

Can anyone suggest a reliable effective alternative under $300?? Or am I just dreaming at that price range :(

LineLefty
17th November 2005, 04:32 PM
Compact Saw table or powered saw table from triton?

It only gives you basic rippign capacity but they'll do it 1000 times better.

Stylesy
17th November 2005, 05:26 PM
I bought the Ryobi TS a couple of years back becuase I hadn't found this forum yet. I also bought the adapter plates for my jigsaw and router.

It's useful as a router table, passes adequately as a cheap man's scroll saw :rolleyes: , but it still makes me wonder what they designed that big wheel in the middle for.

(Not an insult to Ryobi - I have many of their hand held tools, but this TS just doesn't cut it. The fence really is bad :( for TS work, but luckily as mentioned can be used ok for routing.)

Gumby
17th November 2005, 05:50 PM
Oh :)

Can anyone suggest a reliable effective alternative under $300?? Or am I just dreaming at that price range :(

Try ebay for a second hand Triton Mk 3 with a good saw. If you buy just the table, you can get a GMC 9 1/4 saw from Bunnies.

Bodgy
17th November 2005, 06:00 PM
I have one of these saws, and you certainly shouldn't pay $300 odd for it. Mine has needed extensive modification and its only half decent still. The router fitting is OK, but I only use to square up edges before joining. The fence is a joke and I had to make a mitre thingy.

I paid $100 second hand for it and I reckon thats about right. The big advantage it has over the old triton MK3 is the blade tilt (easily and fairly accurately) and the height adjuster.

To be fair the dust extraction - once modified - is good.

antisense
18th November 2005, 12:18 AM
Thanks for all your replies :)

I think I'll just save up for a decent setup. I've never been to carbatec, but with the amount of praise the place gets on theses boards, I'm sure it's well worth a look :)

Thanks again.

antisense ^_^

antisense
21st November 2005, 01:32 PM
Have found a Triton Mk3 with 9" GM saw locally for $250.. Assuming it is not rusty, would you consider this a relatively good deal??? Anything in particular that I should look out for that is prone to excessive wear on this model? Thanks in advance. antisense ^_^

Bodgy
21st November 2005, 09:51 PM
Really all depends what you want to make with the tool.

$250 is good for what you describe, in good condition.

Unfortunately, the Triton could be a terrific tool for you or a huge frustration, depending on what you want to make. The Mk III had major limitations.

More info required.

savage
21st November 2005, 10:40 PM
G'Day Antiscense,
I have a Ryobi TS and must agree with some of the comments made above, the fence is a pain but careful measurment of the setting and it is OK, but just OK, this I will address in time and it will improve the overall performance. The router side of it is good, I have found that a outfeed roller stand make using the saw and router a big plus. I have put mine on wheels and let the dust drop down to the floor, but have thought of an idea to improve all of the problems by setting the saw into a bench like table with a drawer underneath. This will increase the table area, make the dust collection easier and put it on wheels will make it mobile, I'll stick with it for now, if the improvements work out I'll be very happy with it. As far as the noise, Mine's no noisier than the CSS, router or other power tools with exception to the angle grinder.
savage(Eric):)

antisense
22nd November 2005, 01:12 PM
Really all depends what you want to make with the tool.

$250 is good for what you describe, in good condition.

Unfortunately, the Triton could be a terrific tool for you or a huge frustration, depending on what you want to make. The Mk III had major limitations.

More info required. I just want to be able to dress second hand timber .. I figure the easiest way is just to rip a little off all four sides. I'm a complete... no really.. complete novice, so nothing fancy in the pipeline. In a few years after I have made plenty of firewood.. err masterpeices, I guess I'll upgrade. But for now, I just want a low cost solution to dress some sticks :) antisense PS. Why for my text gets all crammed together???

Gumby
22nd November 2005, 01:27 PM
I just want to be able to dress second hand timber .. I figure the easiest way is just to rip a little off all four sides. I'm a complete... no really.. complete novice, so nothing fancy in the pipeline. In a few years after I have made plenty of firewood.. err masterpeices, I guess I'll upgrade. But for now, I just want a low cost solution to dress some sticks :) antisense PS. Why for my text gets all crammed together???

A table saw on it's own isn't going to do the job you want, regardless of the model or type you get. At the very least, if working with second hand timber, then you'll need a thicknesser as well. (Even new dressed timber isn't flat or straight).

Sorry to inform you that, like the rest of us in here, you are starting down a path which will mean acquiring more tools and machinery at lots of points along the way.

A thicknesser can be used to flatten boards on both sides using a simple jig, so a jointer can be put off for now. Eventually though, you'll get one of those as well.

For now, get the cheapest MK 3 you can buy, and a cheap GMC thicknesser. They will get you going. The Mk 3 can be sold later and you will get most , if not all, of your maoney back again. It's not spending, it's an investment. :D

I'd also suggest joining a local woodworking club. They will have tools you can use and get a feel for it before you lash out.

Bodgy
22nd November 2005, 01:48 PM
Wisdom flows from Gumby, as is so often the case.

For what you describe the Triton Mk 3 will do fine, provided the sticks are not longer than say 1 metre, then you would be forced onto the Triton $$ upgrade and addition merry go round.

A GMC thicknessor is not the worst of their tools and costs around $350. Alternatively you could buy a plane and square up etc by hand.

So your total spend is below $600 and will keep you amused for a long time.

As someone who was in a similar position to yourself, only a few months ago, I'd suggest you go do it.

Not only is it a fun hobby, I find it deeply satisfying and it becomes quite productive.

To rationalise the dosh, you'll save on furniture and presents' purchases and the $600 is probably less than the annual cost of clubbing and chasing sheila's, which you'll find difficult to pursue whilst up to the bollocks in shavings and sawdust.

Do beware, you will also develop an immediate and insatiable lust for more tools.

Have fun

Blackers
22nd November 2005, 01:52 PM
G'day my first saw was the Ryobi model. It was OK for very simple tasks, crosscutting timber mainly.

Dislikes - A few things I didn't like about the saw at all were:
#the noise - MRS thought I was sawing cats in half,
#the fence, the most ridiculous piece of (insert your own profanity here)
#the mitre gauge - was small and didn't fit the mitre tracks properly, too much play.

#was a good way for someone like me who has limited woodworking experience and not any with stationary power tools to gain experience.

The easiest way to get some resonable cuts IMHO was to purchase some aluminium runners and timber from bunnies and make a simple cross cut sled.

Also if you are thinking of buying this saw and in the future you want to use a dado set the arbour is way to short for anything other than a single blade.

My thoughts and experiences only,
Jason.

Iain
22nd November 2005, 04:13 PM
Don't Timber Con have a rigid saw table that accepts a CS??
And is it any better/worse than the other orange gear.

Blackers
22nd November 2005, 04:27 PM
timbecon used to have that table, but I think I remember reading in their catledog supplement for 04/05 that this item was taken from sales.

could be wrong though.

Jason.

Gumby
22nd November 2005, 04:55 PM
and the $600 is probably less than the annual cost of clubbing and chasing sheila's, which you'll find difficult to pursue whilst up to the bollocks in shavings and sawdust.

:D :D I don't think too many of us on here are in that bracket anymore. Nice thought though. :D

Last time I went, clubs shut at midnight and you had to get a meal ticket for some meat slop and rice to stay on that late.
Now, they're just getting started at that time. :D

antisense
22nd November 2005, 07:07 PM
Thanks for all the words of wisdom everyone! :o

$600 bucks eh.. thats more than I make a fortnight!!!!!!

Ahh well, hopefully with the degree I've just spent the last four years studying for I can get a nice job in the next couple of months to pay for all of those dangerous spinning whiring wood eating contraptions I've been dreaming about. :rolleyes:

antisense ^_^

Blackers
22nd November 2005, 07:11 PM
Ahh well, hopefully with the degree I've just spent the last four years studying for I can get a nice job in the next couple of months to pay for all of those dangerous spinning whiring wood eating contraptions I've been dreaming about. ^_^

:rolleyes: very tongue in cheek - gargbos pay that much hey???

Anyway you'll get there mate.

Iain
22nd November 2005, 07:13 PM
I remember those days at uni, struggling on sod all and delivering pizza's at $1 a time, mate worked for a house of ill repute and got $20 a delivery.
He made more in a night than I did in a week.
REckon mine probably tasted better though:p whoops poor choice of smiley:rolleyes:

Auld Bassoon
22nd November 2005, 09:17 PM
Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying the Ryobi HPT 255L from bunning for $250.

Just wondering if anyone else has used this product. Any comments?

Cheers in advance.

antisense ^_^
Hi Antisense,

I bought one of those as my first saw when restarting WW about 18 months ago. After about one month's use, it was relegated to "under the tarp", as I bought a 12" contractors saw - still hardly great stuff, but ok.

The Ryobi has since been disposed of via the local council's hard waste disposal service - I wouldn't sell it as I regarded the mongrel as being inaccurate, unstable amd DANGEROUS!

Kept the motor for some yet to be determined project thoughhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif

If funds are tight, I'd suggest a half-way decent circular saw with an attachment that can act as a fence/guide (plenty of types around), plus a reasonable cutting table.

Cheers!

Zed
22nd November 2005, 09:18 PM
antisense, just saw (no-pun) this thread, if you buy it you'll live up to your name.

Just George
22nd November 2005, 09:37 PM
Some Bunnings stores still have old Compact Tables, maybe a Bunnings near you still has one, you wouldn't be limited to a 7 1/4 inch saw as you would be if you bought a Powered Saw Table. It isn't as good as a Workcentre or as a Contractors Saw but is in you price range. The Ryobi you mentioned I think has the overhead guard that lifts up as you push the timber under it and it also raises up when the work piece goes over the end of the table when cutting longer pieces, the natural reaction is to stop it. This isn't a very safe thing to do when you have a spinning blade right under it. Both the Triton Saw Tables have fixed guards, thay are also clear so you have some visibility to see what is being cut.

Woody

antisense
22nd November 2005, 10:13 PM
I think I'll just keep my eyes out for a nice second hand setup.

If I buy new at my budget I'll obviously be getting major crapola :D

It's a shame that I'm all the way over in Perth. There appears to be many table saws for sale on ebay but they are all in the eastern states and I would imaging that transportation costs for something like this would offset the savings earned by buying second hand.

Anyone in Perth purchased goods from the eastern states?? What sort of budget transport is available???

Alas.......

I just missed out on a triton mk3 with 9" saw for $250 just down the road :mad:

Ahh well, I'll keep trawling...

antisense ^_^

Bodgy
23rd November 2005, 08:36 AM

It's a shame that I'm all the way over in Perth. There appears to be many table saws for sale on ebay but they are all in the eastern states

antisense ^_^

Just stay with it. The trick to cutting a good deal on Ebay is not to be in a hurry. Check every day and there'll be a Triton on offer locally. Just don't rush. There's always another coming along.

scooter
23rd November 2005, 09:32 AM
Something to consider I reckon is the "resaleability" of a Triton, be it a 2000, MK3, Compact, or whatever.

The name is well recognised in Oz and selling one wouln't be a drama if you decide to upgrade down the track. And, of course, the unit will give you good service, which is the original intent.

I don't know what success people have had selling other cheapish setups, I would hazard a guess that plenty just get buried in the shed or flogged v cheap at a garage sale. Or reuse for another purpose, like (I think) Stuart Lees using his old GMC benchtop saw as a disc sander.

Cheers...........Sean, content with mine :)

GregLee
23rd November 2005, 09:37 PM

It's a shame that I'm all the way over in Perth. There appears to be many table saws for sale on ebay but they are all in the eastern states and I would imaging that transportation costs for something like this would offset the savings earned by buying second hand.

Anyone in Perth purchased goods from the eastern states?? What sort of budget transport is available???

Alas.......

antisense ^_^

Have you had a think about one of the Chinese contractor saws. You should be able to get a ST-10C from Hafco for somewhere around the $500-550 mark if you haggle. I'm sure Hafco are in Perth.

It would be a much better proposition than a second hand Mark III Triton or GMC/Ryobi piece of crap.

http://www.hareandforbes.com.au/sample_2/Catalogues/Woodworking/04.jpg

antisense
24th November 2005, 11:20 AM
Just stay with it. The trick to cutting a good deal on Ebay is not to be in a hurry. Check every day and there'll be a Triton on offer locally. Just don't rush. There's always another coming along.
some wise words ;)

Greg, thanks for the info re: Hafco
The S10 10C looks pretty good, but still perhaps a little rich for my budget. I realise that I'd be getting a new product with waranty etc, but I really am under some serious financial limitations.

Maybe I could offer them $400 and my first born :rolleyes:. Hmm.. I think it's more likley that I'll just have to scrape up some extra cash from somewhere :o

The ST-13 is within my budget but looks a little flimsy. (I know I know.. you get what you pay for)

Thanks again !!

antisense ^_^

anthonyd
24th November 2005, 03:02 PM
The st13 looks more like aportable saws that a building contractor would take for on the job work. That type of work does not need much precision and I suspect that that saw doesn't have a high level of precision either!

antisense
24th November 2005, 03:50 PM
Just a quick noob question :o

Can you do accurate crosscutting with most table saws?? Or do you have to make your own guide for accurate crosscutting?

Sorry if this is an idiotic question :D

antisense ^_^

WoodyII
18th December 2005, 10:00 PM
Just a quick noob question :o

Can you do accurate crosscutting with most table saws?? Or do you have to make your own guide for accurate crosscutting?

Sorry if this is an idiotic question :D

antisense ^_^

Hi<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
There’s no such thing as a stupid question, especially when it comes to workshop safety.<O:p</O:p
To answer your questions:<O:p</O:p
You can cross cut on a bench saw to varying degrees of accuracy depending on how good a saw you have and whether or not you have set it up accurately. ;) <O:p</O:p
Because you are cutting across the grain, the teeth of the saw need to slice cleanly and thus there is a special crosscutting blade to do that. Don’t rush out and buy a crosscut blade though. The blade that came with your saw bench is likely to be adequate for most DIY jobs. <O:p</O:p
Take care with cross cutting. Before you begin, at least one edge of the timber needs to be as straight as possible. Many people (but not members of this forum of course :D ) simply hold the timber firmly against the mitre gauge and push the work across, but that puts your hands and lower arm parallel to the saw, and with your weight moving forward; not good!

A safer option is to use a crosscutting sled. You can find free instructions for making that jig at http://www.canadianhomeworkshop.com/weekend/xcutting.shtml (http://www.canadianhomeworkshop.com/weekend/xcutting.shtml). <O:p</O:p
Hope that the above helps.

David<O:p</O:p