PDA

View Full Version : Removing Dried Glue

TritonJapan
19th November 2005, 09:54 AM
We all know that the time to remove excess wood glue is ASAP after clamping.

My question comes compliments of my son.

How does one remove dry pva from school uniform jackets?

Angle grinder, paint stripper and oxy torch haven't improved things much.

Any suggestions?

Steve

P.S. One bit of advice, when using what may be deemed to be severe or extreme cleaning techniques, first take the jacket off the kid!

Stuart
19th November 2005, 06:39 PM
My guess would be- attack it where it is weak.... PVA glue is not used for outdoors furniture because it is suceptible to water......so give it a big soak, then wash with detergent. Not promising anything, but if the glue was water-fast, then we'd all use it outdoors instead of all this expensive epoxy type ones........

Good thing is- if it is wrong, you can't do any damage :D

One other thought-the polymers in PVA glue break down when frozen. Not sure how this goes on glue that has already set, but it may still become brittle in the cold. Again- no harm in trying as it won't damage the garment.

ozwinner
19th November 2005, 06:49 PM
http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/75/b7/Stanley_Quick_Change_Retractable_Utility_Knife_10_499_Shop_Tools-resized200.jpg

Al :eek: :D

Auld Bassoon
19th November 2005, 07:48 PM
We all know that the time to remove excess wood glue is ASAP after clamping.

My question comes compliments of my son.

How does one remove dry pva from school uniform jackets?

Angle grinder, paint stripper and oxy torch haven't improved things much.

Any suggestions?

Steve

P.S. One bit of advice, when using what may be deemed to be severe or extreme cleaning techniques, first take the jacket off the kid!

Sand it smooth, then glue some veneer over it:D :D

Cheers!

doug the slug
19th November 2005, 09:28 PM
maybe drill it out and use a plug cutter to cut a suitable plug from matching material. just be sure you match the grain direction as closely as possible. Oh, and remove the jacket from the child and put it on a piece of scrap MDF before drilling. after you glue the plug in, make sure you wipe the excess glue off straight away this time, learn from your mistakehttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th November 2005, 12:23 AM
Why bother? Dip the rest of the jacket in PVA, stitch in a label saying "Made in Taiwan. Do Not Wash" and tell him it's the latest in raincoats.

echnidna
20th November 2005, 08:28 AM
soak it in hot water with some dish washing detergent
and hope the fabric die is set fst.

TritonJapan
20th November 2005, 11:45 AM
Have passed on all advice to SWMBO. Took a while to explain what a veneer was. Not sure I translated it correctly for her though as she thought I was joking. Japanese really do lack inventiveness sometimes!

Seems the boy has discovered the joys of magnifying glasses and bright sunshine. He may be able to fix the problem himself as a steady stream of smoke is floating in of our balcony.

What a great way to enjoy a Sunday. Pity we don't have ants here.

Steve

echnidna
20th November 2005, 02:28 PM
We can soon send you some ants,
what sort do you want
Jumpin Jacks
Green Tree Ants
Red Meat Ants
Bullants

TritonJapan
21st November 2005, 10:04 AM
Ah Echidna,

Now I am all nostalgic for those primary school days spent agitating bull ants nests with a stick. The anticipation builds as the first ant appears, turns quickly to fascination as more come. Fear soon followed as they kept coming then terror as some of them manage to get under the uniform.

First real burst of pain that I recall really.

What a shame it is in this super modern society here that the simple pleasures of life are missed by our younguns.

Australia realy does have some great adveture species for kids.

Steve

echnidna
21st November 2005, 08:24 PM
tassie devils
crocodiles
dingos
redback spiders
funnelwebs

Stuart
21st November 2005, 09:06 PM
Here ya go - some shots from the last couple of weeks (and one from about 5am today)

The Duke
22nd November 2005, 10:58 PM
Cripes Stuart, you must have P***ed the bed to be up at that ungodly hour of the morning!!

The Duke

rick_rine
22nd November 2005, 11:03 PM
tassie devils
crocodiles
dingos
redback spiders
funnelwebs

And Tiger snakes

Shedhand
22nd November 2005, 11:06 PM
:cool:
Have passed on all advice to SWMBO. Took a while to explain what a veneer was. Not sure I translated it correctly for her though as she thought I was joking. Japanese really do lack inventiveness sometimes!

Seems the boy has discovered the joys of magnifying glasses and bright sunshine. He may be able to fix the problem himself as a steady stream of smoke is floating in of our balcony.

What a great way to enjoy a Sunday. Pity we don't have ants here.

Steve

Get the school to buy him a new jacket..they should have provided him with a smock when he was gluing. And another thing, at least he's sticking it on his clothes and not up his nose...
:cool:

Robert WA
22nd November 2005, 11:22 PM
A late suggestion, in case junior has not yet burned the glue off.

Put the jacket in you freezer for half a day. Hopefully, the glue will become so brittle you will be able to crush it into fragments and brush it off.

Eddie Jones
23rd November 2005, 11:41 AM
"And another thing, at least he's sticking it on his clothes and not up his nose..."

Ah yes.....I always believed if you were going to sniff glue you should choose araldite.......At least you only sniff it once!