PDA

View Full Version : Pinners - 23 gauge

burn
23rd November 2005, 02:01 PM
I've recently been investigating pin nailers. They use 23 gauge headless pins, whose entry holes are very hard to detect (depending on timber). Currently all models available here limit the size of the pin to 1" (25.4mm), which means if you want to pin a 19mm board, then you only get 6 or so mm into the timber beneath. Some US companies (Grex, Omer) market pinners which have longer pins (up to 1 3/8" - 34.9mm).

My question is, if you had the choice, would you by the pinner with the extra length.

Sturdee
23rd November 2005, 02:46 PM
Mine allows pins of upto 65mm to be used, however the lenght I regularly use is 25mm so I voted 25 to be long enough.

But I also have a finish nailer and frame gun for longer nails that is used much more.

Peter.

burn
23rd November 2005, 03:09 PM
Mine allows pins of upto 65mm to be used, however the lenght I regularly use is 25mm so I voted 25 to be long enough.
Peter.

Peter,
Who's 23 gauge pinner goes to 65mm. I know lots of 18 gauge bradders go to all sorts of lengths, but the max 23 gauge I've found is 35mm. My desire is for minimal 'visual damage' due to the nail hole.

Burn

Sturdee
23rd November 2005, 04:42 PM
Sorry Burns, I should have gone to the workshop to check first.:o Actually the max nail size is 40 mm. It is an Airy ATK-241S.

A bit smaller but I never use the max size, as for anything longer I would use the finish nailer.

I bought it of Woodworking Warehouse when they were still Malvern Machinery( part of the Woodman Group ).

Peter.

burn
23rd November 2005, 05:00 PM
Peter,

Is the ATK-241S a 23 or 18 gauge nailer?

Sturdee
23rd November 2005, 05:19 PM
Peter,

Is the ATK-241S a 23 or 18 gauge nailer?

Burn, it's an 18 gauge nailer.

Peter.

Termite
23rd November 2005, 05:20 PM
Sorry Burns, I should have gone to the workshop to check first.:o Actually the max nail size is 40 mm.
These "Senior moments" are a bugger aren't they mate.:D I think I've had a few in the last 1/2 hour :o

Sturdee
23rd November 2005, 05:24 PM
These "Senior moments" are a bugger aren't they mate.:D I think I've had a few in the last 1/2 hour :o

Touche.:D :D :D

They are indeed a bugger.:D

Peter.

burn
23rd November 2005, 05:37 PM
Peter,

You say an inch is enough for your use of the 18 gauge bradder. Is this when working with 1/2" timber or less?

Burn

Sturdee
23rd November 2005, 06:26 PM
Burn,

As I said I have the 3 different guns and an air staple gun. I normally use the finish gun, which I think is the 23 gauge, which uses a range of nails from 25mm through to 65 mm. THis gives good holding power and the nail holes are easy to cover up.

For thinner timber or close to the edge I would use the bradder. I have used the bradder extensively when nailing 6mm mdf sheets against the shed walls etc. For these uses the 25mm is adequate.

BTW I've had the Airy now for over 10 years and, admittedly with the limited use, it has never given me any problems. I don't know if the Woodman group still sells it but it is a good unit. I should have paid the extra $ 10 for the push and nail feature like my other guns as this one has 2 triggers that need to be pulled to shoot nails. However I'm used to it by now.:D

Peter.