PDA

View Full Version : MSL 3815..owners/users

barry clark
23rd November 2005, 08:04 PM
My maiden post!

I'm thinking of buying an MSL 3815.

I would be grateful for any information,good,bad or ugly from those who know the machine.

I'm disabled and wheelchair bound but spend practically every day at the lathe.

:confused:

hingston
24th November 2005, 04:53 PM
Barry,
I am just round the corner in South Morang and bought one of these the other day.

I used it a few times and am still a beginner turner.

The lathe it fine but the stand is rubbish. It is way too flimsy.

Roataing the head is not that easy and their is no a positive lock.

Would I still buy one - yes.

PM me if you want more info.

Ian007
24th November 2005, 05:20 PM
I had one of these lathes that I got at the last wood working show here in Adelaide.
the first one vibrated at the 1400 to 2000 rev range so I got a new one delivered which did the very same thing.

on closer inspection the motor was not balanced in either of them.
I pulled the unit apart removed the drive belt and it still vibrated.

These lathes vibrated so much the tools would walk of the bench.

I ended taking the second one back and getting a refund.

also got a PM from a bloke in the west who had the very same problem and was into his second month waiting for repairs.

I asked Leda machinery here in Adelaide why they dont sell that model lathe and was told that when they where in the factory looking at them the thing that put them off was the fact that the motor has brushes.

Sorry if that puts a damper on it for you, but that is what happened me.

Cheers Ian:)

smidsy
24th November 2005, 08:31 PM
Ian,
Thanks for the candid post, I was about to buy one of these as I want something beefier than my MC900.

Based on what you're saying I shall keep an eye on the second hand columns for my next lathe.

Cheers
Paul

barry clark
24th November 2005, 10:54 PM
Thanks guys for the responses so far.
The score is two against,one for..or two for if you value Timbecons' opinion. I emailed both Timbecon and Carbatec seeking their experience and advice.
Timbecon replied within 24 hours and to precis their reply:
"It's a definite upgrade for the MC 900-they are very reliable and they have not heard of a single person unhappy with the machine..they have not heard of anyone wanting to upgrade from an MSL 3815 either"
that is what they said and if I can workout a way of attaching a copy of their email I'll do so.
As for the motor having brushes being a problem I'll have to chuck out nearly all the power tools in my workshop.Brushless motors do not suit all applications,particularly when you get up to 2 hp ,with a variable speed controller,and varying torque loads. I'm surprised someone would use that as an excuse for not selling something
Opinion is a result of experience I know.I will never buy a certain brand of motor car again as long as I live as a result of an experience in 1988....and I'm probably the loser as a result.
The thing is I want a Vicmarc or a Nova DVR but I can't have one. What else is there in the EVS range out there..not much for around a grand.
I've come to hate split pulley systems with a venom I never knew I had.There you go again ..opinion formed from experience ...not necessarily so.
There have been quite a lot of these things sold.
Lets hear from someone who's used one for a while..please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regards
Barry
:confused:

hingston
25th November 2005, 01:12 PM
Maybe Ian007 had a bad batch.

I ran mine up from 450 rpm to 2100 rpm with a 20c piece sitting on edge and it didnt fall over, it moved a bit, but then it is not a rolls royce, but you are not paying that price.