PDA

View Full Version : Which Glue - wood to plastic

old_picker
26th November 2005, 11:46 AM
I am about to do the binding on a guitar body and need some feedback on which glue is best. The binding is just a standard type plastic strip and the body is fiji mahogany/maple. Many use superglue [Cyanoacrylate] for this job but I find it a total nightmare to use.

Thanks for any suggestions.

ps i know there is a few guitar builders here and i wonder if a forum could be put up here for us??

Kev-in Melb
26th November 2005, 12:24 PM
Try Weldbond, available from Bunnings. This Glue is made in Canada and will bond almost anything. Not sure what’s in it but it resembles white PVA and cleans up with water. Takes about an hour to dry and cures in 24 hours.

Al B
26th November 2005, 01:21 PM
I have used Titan Bond Plus by Bostic to glue plastic, wood, metal and found it works really well.

AlexS
26th November 2005, 02:38 PM
Check out www.thistothat.com . It's an American site, but there are Australian equivalents for most adhesives.

MICKYG
26th November 2005, 03:15 PM
Old Picker

I would use two part epoxy mixed so as it does not go off to quick. Make sure you have plenty of elastic strapping to wrap it when you put the plastic in place, or you can use a good tape and put lots on, something like three inch strips of gaffa tape will pull the thing together.

Have seen a lot of guitars (Eugene Phillip made quite a lot of guitars and was Greg Smallmans prodigy) made using this method and use a sharp scraper with lots of care to remove any excess, and bobs your uncle.

Regards Mike;) ;)