PDA

View Full Version : Tru-Grind Sharpening system.

Sasha
26th November 2005, 06:15 PM
Hi Guys,
I was wondering if anyone has used the Woodcut - Tru-grind Tool Sharpening system?
Is it any good?
How easy is it to use?
Do you get good results on your gouges/chisels?
Thanks

Alex

KevM
26th November 2005, 10:16 PM
Hi Guys,
I was wondering if anyone has used the Woodcut - Tru-grind Tool Sharpening system?
Is it any good?
How easy is it to use?
Do you get good results on your gouges/chisels?
Thanks

Alex
Alex,
I bought one three years ago at the WWWS.

Drawbacks

I have not found it easy to set up a Skew chisel for sharpening as it is not simply a matter of flipping over the holder to sharpen the other side but need to remove skew turn over and refit in holder.
My 1 1/4" Robert Sorby roughing gouge does not fit into the holder:mad: to allow it to be sharpened

Advantages

Allows a consistent grind to be applied each time:)
Easy to use:)
Comes with a DVD demonstrating sharpening of the various types of chisels :)

Kev M

ozwinner
27th November 2005, 07:41 AM
Hi
I think Triton are bringing one out next year, Id wait and see what that looks like.

Well I would if I didnt own a Tormek.

Al :)

render2017
27th November 2005, 12:05 PM
Kev M has summed up the woodcut pro and con issues very well, I only have one extra comment. You have to use a quality white oxide stone, or run the risk of burning the edge, like any other bench grinder based sharpening kit.
I use mine regularly for straight forward sharpening, because I have never mastered the advanced techniques many have developed using their hands.

It certainly makes repetitive sharpening very easy, and that saves wasted grinding away of valuable steel trying to get it right !

One day I might be able to afford one of those water based sharpening systems, but frankly, the cost, setup and slow sharpening (it seems to takes ages !) puts me off right now.

Oh . . . and of course we sell the Woodcut system . . . sorry about the commercial right at the end but the boss would not forgive me if I didn't try !

Ingrid Hendricks
Northwood Tool
Woodcut here: http://www.northwoodtools.com.au/woodcut1.asp

rsser
27th November 2005, 03:17 PM
I use a grinder with both ends running white wheels (well, actually one's pink but we don't need to be racist). One side has a cheap taiwanese platform for skews, scrapers and simple grind gouges, and the other has a jig for fingernail grinds. As it happens I use the Sorby jig for this but have heard good things about the Heligrind jig - it's supposed to do a genuine helical grind according to my last teacher.

Now I couldn't tell you what the difference actually is sorry - I did humanities subjects at school and left all the tech stuff up to my older brothers ;-}