PDA

View Full Version : Boxing for my slab

Shedhand
27th November 2005, 12:12 AM
g'day all.
Now i've bought my shed I have to put a slab down. The shed guy said it's cheaper to do the boxing myself, order the concrete and get a couple of concreters in and pay them day rates.
Any one tell me how to box up a 9m x 7.5m x 100mm slab. The ground is classified Class A (sandy soil which the Architect says is the best to put slabs on).:)
Cheers. Any advice gratefully received.

Harry72
27th November 2005, 10:32 AM
If you can hire some form work, as you need at least 33m of it... Or you could buy some 100-150mm "C" section and use that, the 100mm would be cheaper.(I got 150mm, you can always bury in ground 2" for 4" concrete)
They come in 7.5m lenghts so you will need about 5, 1 of them will need to be cut. Drill 2 holes in them for pegs on the sides, this will hold them inplace while the main holding pegs are positioned on the outside(1 peg every 500mm).
Then lay the plastic in and then coat the C section in oil... before putting the mesh down!
This will give you reusable form work, that will outlast traditional marine ply form work... or can be reused as its intended purpose to build a lean-too out of... extra wood storage!
Hint!, work out where your going to put your power box/board and put a 90° conduit bend in under the form work, so when the power cables are run it'll be a neat job... can do with water/sewage for hand basin too!

johnc
27th November 2005, 05:04 PM
I use pine commons 90 x 45 at about $1.00 per metre, its pretty much useless afterwards but with plenty of pegs and bracing its fine if boxing up on level ground. Besides it burns ok in winter, but you might try the hire places it will work out dearer most likely but you would find it easier to keep the edges straight.

John.

rick_rine
27th November 2005, 09:15 PM
Dont skimp on pegs to keep your formwork straight .
Wet concrete is very heavy and you'll do yourself no favours if it bows or worse .
Its really very easy if you know how so dont feel overwelmed by it . If you really want to save money buy yourself a good plastic float and a steel trowel , put on a bbq for 2 friends and do it yourself . Its not a big slab and any handyman/woman could do it with the right advice and also dont feel scared to ask the concrete truck driver for advice . Is it to wet/dry . They are very helpful and have seen many slabs poured so they know more than us . Mine even helped screed the concrete ! The formwork is the most important part and if you are capable of that you are more than capable of pouring the slab completly .
Regards
Rick

Shedhand
28th November 2005, 01:20 PM
Dont skimp on pegs to keep your formwork straight .
Wet concrete is very heavy and you'll do yourself no favours if it bows or worse .
Its really very easy if you know how so dont feel overwelmed by it . If you really want to save money buy yourself a good plastic float and a steel trowel , put on a bbq for 2 friends and do it yourself . Its not a big slab and any handyman/woman could do it with the right advice and also dont feel scared to ask the concrete truck driver for advice . Is it to wet/dry . They are very helpful and have seen many slabs poured so they know more than us . Mine even helped screed the concrete ! The formwork is the most important part and if you are capable of that you are more than capable of pouring the slab completly .
Regards
Rick
Thanks for all the tips and advice guys. Its going to be a DIY job (BBQ and Beer for the labourers - if you're in Tassie during January and get tired of the fishin' :eek: and swimmin' :cool: let me know and I'll get some extra Cascade and Porterhouse steaks) :D