PDA

View Full Version : MC900 V MC1100 for turning large bowl

Doogster
28th November 2005, 07:04 PM
Hi chaps

I don't currently have a lathe, but am thinking of buying one shortly.

The first thing I want to turn is a bowl-shaped structure out of MDF sheets which are glued together. The total size of the MDF stack is approx 30cm x 30cm x 30cm. So it's a fairly hefty workpiece.

My question is whether a MC900 would handle such a workpiece. Or would I be better off with a MC1100? Or would I need something even bigger?

I believe in buying good tools rather than cheap'n'nasty tools (within reason - which means I won't be buying a top-flight Vicmarc as my first lathe!). I've read a lot of posts about the MC900/1100 and its various incarnations. Do you think it's worthwhile buying any of the other lathes in the $500-$1000 range rather than the MC1100? If so, which do you think is the best sub $1000 lathe? The features I'm after are a 1 meter or larger between-centres capacity and a swivel head so I can turn large bowls.

BTW, Gasweld currently has the MC900 (sans stand and spur drive) for $150 as part of a promotion.

Many thanks. Doug

Jim Carroll
28th November 2005, 07:49 PM
Neither lathe will do the job.
The weight of the stack will be too heavy for the pony power motors on these lathes.
The lowest speed of the lathe will be too high to safely start with and get the peice in balance.
There is not enough torque in these motors for the weight of the bowl.

RETIRED
28th November 2005, 10:07 PM
Second that.

La truciolara
28th November 2005, 10:40 PM
Too true!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
You will be up to facing problems... and safety<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
If I may. I know that Vicmarcs seem expensive... But you are in the native country of these wonders. I have equipped my (Italian) school only with Vicmarcs.... and I am far away. It'll take time to finance the workshop, but those who come here are flabbergasted by the safety of these lathes not speaking about the smoothness (with ECS we ca turn from 30 to 3000 rpm's)<o:p></o:p>

hughie
29th November 2005, 10:27 AM
Hi Doogster,
I have a MC1100 and it would be it be something that might win you first prize in the home video contest....if you survived.

Bolted down, 100kg sand bag on the stand tray,double the thickness of the stand, 2hp+ motor , variable speed inverter drive, and get somebody else to do it.

Looks like your gonna have to go up market or make your own......sigh, it aint always easy, but life is fun.:p
hughie

hughie
30th November 2005, 12:19 AM
Hi Just a quick apology 30cm or 300mm would not be a problem for this lathe as long as you have as true as you can get prior to starting.
I mistakenly thought 30cm = 900mm, I have turned on my MC1100 360mmx 180mm.
300X300X300 would require some careful set up as I mentioned above. If is going to be hollow I would remove most if not all of the middle section with a jigsaw then glue it together. Other wise I fear such a solid block of material would not be feasible.
hughie

rsser
30th November 2005, 07:33 AM
besides ... mdf is puke stuff to turn: make sure you have good breathing apparatus

reeves
1st December 2005, 09:04 AM
the one up from the MC's is bigger and more powerful, about 1100...probably handle that weight...
try yr local woodies club or find someone with a larger lathe...

cheeeeeeeers
john

CHJ
1st December 2005, 10:45 AM
Doug, My lathe could not be more cheap and cheerful but it copes with the equivalent as long as you take care to get it somewhere near balanced before attempting turning. It only has 3/4HP motor and can be stalled if you are too aggressive but with patience it copes.

See a large Cedar of Lebanon log on it here:

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7214