PDA

View Full Version : Co$t of a Workbench

Phil Mailloux
5th December 2005, 09:03 PM
Hello all,

I migrated to Australia several months ago. As a hobby I build bass guitars, here's my website for those that might be interested:
www.geocities.com/philmailloux (http://www.geocities.com/philmailloux)

I finally have some extra funds and want to build a workbench so I can go on building basses. I'd like to build a bench that will have a hardwood top thats 1500mm X 600mm X 50mm

I've got no idea whatsoever what are the proper/cheaper alternatives in native woods or if european/american woods would be better or not.

In other words:
How cheap/expensive will it be?
What are the best (cost and solidity-wise) native woods?
I'd like that project to cost less than a couple of hundreds if that's possible.
Any hints anyone? :D

Ivan in Oz
5th December 2005, 09:20 PM
G'day Phil,
Welcome,
WOW!!
Like the material and description on your WebSite.
Re, a Work Bench
Do a search here first,
there is quite a lot on here.
Actually, I picked one up in Paddo a Fortnight ago:D
I'd suggest;
Do the search and comeback with Questions.

craigb
5th December 2005, 09:22 PM
Australian hardwood is the go over European or American alternatives, simply because it's cheaper and readily available.

There's people here who've built pretty good benches from recycled and found timber that have cost them very little indeed (isn't that right Zed? :) )

So I guess I'm saying that you can spend a lot or a little depending on where you get your timber from.

I'm sure plenty of people will jump into this thread.

Good luck. Oh and welcome btw. :)

Craig

Auld Bassoon
5th December 2005, 09:24 PM
G'day Phil!

Firstly: welcome in mate!

Secondly: do a search on "wongo" and his bench, and on bench building in general. Heaps of stuff here. And $$$ to spend if you're not careful:eek: :D :)

Cheers!

Bodgy
5th December 2005, 10:22 PM
Phil

Welcome to our playpen

Dunno where you would find American wood here at a reasonable cost.

Try and get some old hardwood bearers or joints from a recycled timber place, or better still when you see a demolition site offer them a slab of beer.

Aussie hardwoods are very hard and very heavy, ideal for a bench.

I was in your position about 6 months ago, Search on benches and you'll find more than you ever wanted to know. I'm still confused

bitingmidge
5th December 2005, 10:30 PM
You should be able to get all the timber you like for free, but if you are interested, a cubic metre of reject KD Aussie hardwood can be had for $100 plus freight. (check out http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=19016 )

I wouldn't think you'd even try to get a hold of American timbers!

All the best,

P
:D

Different
5th December 2005, 11:35 PM
I would look at using an imported timber called Kwila it is hard strong and very stable also available in 1,2,3,4 & 6 inch thicknesses.

I love your basses and would order a fretless one if my finances permitted which they dont and I already had a Chapman Stick!

Ross

hcbph
6th December 2005, 05:15 AM
Phil

I don't know if you have access to Wood Magazine, but if you do, check out the November 2005 issue. There's a very good article on making a workbench in it. Looks like it's fairly simple constuction but looks very solid and strong.

If you don't have one, maybe check your public library as they may have a subscription.

Good luck

Paul

Phil Mailloux
6th December 2005, 08:47 AM
Thanks for all the replys guys. I've indeed found tons of plans and tutorials with the search function since then, Wongo's thread is pretty interesting too.

My main question was pretty much the price. I'll check out the yellow pages and make some calls to find out prices for recycled timber, that might be closer to my price range (i.e. cheap!)

I just don't get where you guys get free wood though, that would be even better :rolleyes:

Bodgy
6th December 2005, 09:15 AM
I just don't get where you guys get free wood though, that would be even better :rolleyes:

When someones demolishing a house or renovating, the old floors, framing, sub floor structures were always made from Oz hardwoods, if the house is 30 plus years old. This changed as we lost forests and the green lobby grew.

Most demo contractors just cart this stuff to the tip. Don't be shy, front up when you see some activity in your suburb. Be prepared to get the timber that day, cause they won't wait. A slab of beer will do the job.