PDA

View Full Version : Architrave Question

vGolfer
6th December 2005, 08:52 AM
I asked this question in another thread however it may have been the wrong thread to ask it.

I am just doing the architraves on internal doors along a hallway. I Just wanted to know whether the verticals on the architraves should touch the floorboards or whether there should be a spacer gap of a couple of millimetres under??

Fordy
6th December 2005, 11:00 AM
I have just completed the same job and I used a 250mm piece of lambs tongue mdf to join the skirt and arc. I looked at having the doorway arc run to the floor but thought it didn't look as attractive. This may depend on what skirting board you are using though as I used 190mm colonial mdf and has come up great.

What are you using for the skirting and architrave??

vGolfer
6th December 2005, 11:04 AM
I'm using 240x18mm Victorian MDF for the Skirt and 120x18 Vic MDF for the archs.

Just spoke to the flooring guys and they said the skirt and arch can sit directly on the floor.

ThePope
6th December 2005, 02:05 PM
I Just wanted to know whether the verticals on the architraves should touch the floorboards or whether there should be a spacer gap of a couple of millimetres under??

if you're running the archs onto a finished floor then sit them hard on the floor, no gap.

if you'll be carpeting, tiling ect afterwards then a small gap is fine as it'll be covered.

just as a matter of interest, why do you think there should be a small gap underneath.

vGolfer
6th December 2005, 02:31 PM
just as a matter of interest, why do you think there should be a small gap underneath.

My wife seems to recall that someone from the flooring place said there should be a spacer gap under the skirts and architraves. I have since found that doesn't need to be the case.

cheers