PDA

View Full Version : Chisels for XMAS

dazzler
8th December 2005, 11:23 AM
Hi all,

my boys are going to buy me some more turning chisels for XMAS. I am returning to woodturning after 20yrs and have a new MC1100.

I currently have a 1/2 skew and 3/4inch gouge (Hamlet chisels). What do you suggest the next purchases should be?

I am starting off with small bowls up to 6" and would like to turn some lamp bases/candle holders.

I was thinking a 1 or 1 1/4 rolled skew, 3/8 beading and parting tool and a bowl gouge?:confused:

Any suggestions?

Cheers:D

Dazzler

(And Yes I did and no it didnt;) )

PAH1
8th December 2005, 12:47 PM
I have 13mm and 16mm bowl gouges, they are wonderful. I would steer clear of oval skews as they are very hard to use for peeling cuts and are very very hard to use when fitting box lids. my suggestions would be

bowl scraper-some people say not to bother however they are very good for getting the bottom curve right.

3/4 or 1" skew rather than beading parting tool- get a dedicated parting tool as thin as you will need.

Roughing gouge-you do not say if the one you have is a roughing gouge

a 3/8 spindle gouge and probably a 3/8 or larger detail gouge

A good square end scraper for hollowing boxes etc and a round nose if possible

The list goes on

rsser
8th December 2005, 03:28 PM
Geez, can I borrow your boys for Xmas ;)

The best tool I have for bowl turning is a Henry Taylor 3/8" superflute .... www.thewoodsmith.com.au (http://www.thewoodsmith.com.au) has them ... excellent steel and profile. Affordable if you buy without the handle.