PDA

View Full Version : Yukko Stucco!

cathnniv
11th December 2005, 05:55 PM
Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience or advice about stucco.
I want to create as close to a rendered finish as possible with a soft yellow washed look.
Currently i have bubbly, old white stucco, not the flattened type.

I'm wondering whether to render over it and use the yellow colouring in the mix,
Paint with the new Dulux (Or other) full cover texture paint. "The colour i want but costly"
Grind back the larger lumps and paint or render
Or possibly remove the old stucco, not my favourite option

I have to do the whole house or possibly just the front big job where do i start?

johnc
11th December 2005, 11:29 PM
Chances are your stucco is painted and you cannot render to paint. Your next problem is the base, brick or fibro, if its fibro then the stucco has been applied over wire mesh and this is a problem if you want to remove it. The risk of exposing lose asbestos is pretty high if you want to go down that path. For what its worth if the stucco is sound I would paint over it as that will be the cheapest and probably the best result as well. If the current exterior is in keeping with the period of the home then why not leave it as it is? Don't know about sanding it, would have thought other than a ton of dust you might dislodge a few divots out of the finish but I've never tried to sand any render surface.

John

bitingmidge
12th December 2005, 08:23 AM
Cath,

John says it pretty succinctly I think, and as I said in my PM, you might regret it in 20 or so years time, when you get the hankering to restore the stucco classic.

Stucco is coming back you know.

Cheerrs,

P
:D :D :D