trying to source candle holders for our latest projects
have found the usual sizes at carbatec etc but was after larger varieties
approx. 40mm and up
any help would be great
thanks
SCOTT

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th December 2005, 01:13 AM
Are you after actual holders or just the "sleeve" for fire-prevention?

lola
13th December 2005, 09:02 PM
hey skewy
not really sure , because i can understand using copper pipe as a sleeve
but does this prevent the heat transfer when the candle burns down to it's minimun ???
thanks
SCOTT

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th December 2005, 11:05 PM
So long as there're no "hairy bits" in the bottom of the candle receptacle then there shouldn't be a problem when the wick gutters out. Having said that, we'll probably get a few stories of gloom and woe and fiery bedrooms now. :rolleyes:

If you'd like that li'l extra peace of mind you can always try the good ol' coin trick: where you epoxy in a new coin of appropriate size (showing the date, of course! ;)) before fitting the tube. Better still if you can emboss a disk with your own mark, but I'm sure you get the idea.

The real advantage behind using copper tube, old bottle-necks and the like is that you can create a custom fitting to complement your work instead of something "off the shelf."

lola
19th December 2005, 09:05 PM
cheers skewy
it sounds like i'm getting a bit carried away for no reason
thanks for your input
thanks again
SCOTT

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st December 2005, 11:48 PM
I wouldn't say for no reason. If you sell a candlestick and it burns down the customer's house 'cos it goes up in flames, well... you're liable.

I made some holders for some 4" & 6" candles and had similar concerns. So I grabbed a candle, ran it through the bandsaw to trim off just enough to fit into the holder and put it to the litmus test. It passed... but I still soldered copper disks to the bottoms of the sleeves for extra peace of mind. And that li'l extra bit of "bling." :)

(What a stoopid word, eh? "Bling." Still, 'tis no worse than "glitz" I guess. [shrug])