PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU grind the primary bevel?

routermaniac
17th December 2005, 09:53 AM
Grinding the primary bevel on chisels and planes blades can be one of the most time consuming, annoying things that those of us working with handtools will do. Especially if your chisel (or plane blade) is not new and you're rehabbing someone elses mistakes :eek: .

I used to grind the primary bevel by hand, then a belt sander clamped to my work mate. Now I use a bench griner with an aluminium oxide wheel and I use the time I used to waste getting on with the woodworking.

What does everyone else do???

Groggy
17th December 2005, 10:16 AM
A bench grinder with a white wheel and a small tub of water. Followed by a run over a scangrind wet wheel and then polished on wet stones with a LV MkII holder. Secondary bevel done with the LV also.

Termite
17th December 2005, 10:25 AM
With one of these.

Al B
17th December 2005, 11:25 AM
A 6" bench grinder with a white Aluminum oxide wheel works for me.

beejay1
18th December 2005, 06:23 PM
Ive tried it all ways and it was always a bit of a grind:) until I got the Tormek a couple of years ago.
A great piece of kit and it takes no time at all to produce great results. Wouldnt be without it now.
beejay1
http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

echnidna
18th December 2005, 06:30 PM
Have a look at the poll results,
nearly 20% of forum members throw their chisels out instead of regrinding

Termite
18th December 2005, 06:38 PM
I've had chisels like that.

Auld Bassoon
18th December 2005, 08:12 PM
With one of these.

Neat looking machine Mr Termite!

I've seen those in US stores/catalogues, but not a 50Hz/240v jobbie here. Where'd you source yours?

Cheers!

Auld Bassoon
18th December 2005, 08:15 PM

Just think of all those rich buggars - throw their LN or Robert Sorby's out when they're blunt :eek: :eek:

Dustbin crawl around Toorak's woodies anyone?

Cheers!

Studley 2436
18th December 2005, 08:40 PM
I have just finished doing a Derek on my belt sander. The belt sander actually is fitted straight on to the end of the bench grinder instead of a grinding wheel.

Works a treat cost very little fair bit of time to get the setting gauge done up very straight and square.

The result is great though very fast way to grind blades to a precise angle and straight and square. Belt them on this quick polish on a stone and you are laughing.

Studley

Auld Bassoon
18th December 2005, 09:25 PM
Hi Studley,

Pics please!

Cheers!

zenwood
18th December 2005, 11:19 PM
Grinding the primary bevel on chisels and planes blades can be one of the most time consuming, annoying things that those of us working with handtools will do. Especially if your chisel (or plane blade) is not new and you're rehabbing someone elses mistakes :eek: .

I used to grind the primary bevel by hand with ScarySharp. Now I use a bench grinder with an aluminium oxide wheel, then hone with waterstones; and I use the time I used to waste getting on with the woodworking.

:):)

Harry72
19th December 2005, 02:19 AM
Had to vote bench grinder as thats what I use for my chisels, but I only use scarey sharp on my one and only plane... doesnt get used much so its about 6mths inbetween reseting the primary bevel.(lucky I scored a heap of 60 grit W&D, but almost out cant find it anymore?)

Termite
19th December 2005, 06:12 AM

I've seen those in US stores/catalogues, but not a 50Hz/240v jobbie here. Where'd you source yours?

Cheers!
Timbecon, bought it for doing my jointer blades then found it great for all other blades/chisels too.

channa
19th December 2005, 08:03 AM
I have just finished doing a Derek on my belt sander. ... :confused: What's a Derek?

What I really meant to ask is what grit belt do you use? Cheers :)

LineLefty
19th December 2005, 02:05 PM
Had to vote other. I faff around and sometimes wet grind. If it takes to long, I go to the dry grind, stuff it up, then try sary sharp 80 grit.

scooter
19th December 2005, 10:53 PM
I have just finished doing a Derek on my belt sander. The belt sander actually is fitted straight on to the end of the bench grinder instead of a grinding wheel.

Stud (:D), is this a Multitool attachment on yer grinder, or did you cobble one up homemade?

Cheers................Sean, Aussie Hardwoods give me splinters :D

Bodgy
21st December 2005, 09:15 PM
I go with Groggy and Routerman. White Aum wheel on cheapo XUR bench grinder and Carbatec grinding jig. Pot of water for cooling. Got quite good at it since I got the gig and watching my Sensei doing it at school.

Recent challenge was gringing an arc on a plane iron for my new scrub plane. Took a while, but no worries.

First go was the scary sharp show with lots of wet and dry. Pain in the ass. Cumbersome, ripped paper and time consuming. The grinder, jig and Nip waterstones are much simpler and I invariably get the dry shave result.

One thing to watch out for is trying to sharpen POS chisels. All you get is a tenancious wire which filp flops to either edge until you strop it off then the blades dull, then you sharpen ad nauseum........

Studley 2436
22nd December 2005, 03:35 PM
I am using 120 grit I guess it loses it's edge very quickly. I just do the primary with the belt sander and then scary sharp to get it close finish on a water stone.

Studley

Groggy
22nd December 2005, 03:54 PM

Cheers!Get Woodworking in Williamstown has them, not sure what the price is though. Call Roy on 9399 1963

knucklehead
23rd December 2005, 11:01 AM
For the past 12 months I have been using a slow (1400ish) speed grinder.
I find that this is much easier to control and less likely to loose the temper.
With some patience I can grind a primary bevel on a 6mm chisel without having to cool it in water.
http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=180_360_1900_1910

Has anyone tried one of the Norton cool running blue wheels?
http://www.nortonconsumer.com/Data/Element/Product/product.asp?ele_ch_id=P0000000000000001983