PDA

View Full Version : The correct chuck?

Happy Chappy
17th December 2005, 08:54 PM
I am currently setting up to begin woodturning and am seeking advice on chuck sizes. I have a Hafco lathe WL20HD which has a 400mm swing over bed and want to pair this with a Nova chuck. The Midi chuck has been recommended but given the ability to rotate the head and the 1.5hp motor I was thinking that the Supernova would possibly be more appropriate for larger items. It would also stand up better should I progress to a larger lathe later on.
Would appreciate some direction here.

hughie
17th December 2005, 09:49 PM
Hi, I use supernova2 chucks and they work fine on my H&F lathe, same model as yours. hughie

rsser
18th December 2005, 07:18 AM
Depends on what you want to turn.

Happy Chappy
18th December 2005, 08:18 AM
Ern
Nothing too fine at this stage - probably boxes, small to medium bowls. salt and pepper shakers, candlesticks etc.
Will the larger unit do everything the smaller unit will do?
Would the weight of the larger unit be an issue to the lathe itself?
Thanks

Moviefan
18th December 2005, 08:49 AM
I use the Nova 2 and its a great chuck.

There is however a new one coming from teknatool called the G3 which looks like just a smaller version of the Nova and uses the same jaws.

Its also available from Northwood tolls for $145.00 with insert which makes this one great value .

Worth a Look

Drop colin at Northwood a line about availablity ?

[email protected]

Link to the PDF about the new chuck below.

http://www.smartmailpro.co.nz/SmartmailWebsite/accounts/543/d/G3_Notification_Oct2005.pdf

ptc
18th December 2005, 09:35 AM
The big Bonham.

woodb woody
18th December 2005, 10:18 AM
The super Nova 2 works well for me

Jim Carroll
18th December 2005, 11:06 AM
The Supernova 2 is the ideal chuck for this lathe.
It is very user friendly.
The Precision midi was made for mini lathes or for use with the smaller jaws. This would be good chuck as a back up on a lathe that can be used to this capacity.

All jaws are compatable between the nova chucks so you can swap any time. The only exception is the titan jaws which have 3 screws holding the jaws and more suited to the Titan chuck.

The G3 is a step backward to the old days of the original supernova chuck. Not a good choice as it has a key that you have to fumble into a hole and locate another.:mad:

rsser
18th December 2005, 04:42 PM
When I read the email version of your post HC I decided to recommend that you ring Jim Carroll and discuss your needs. Hehe, thanks Jim.

The Teknatool chucks are very nice pieces of kit and they have an advantage over the Vicmarc in that accessory jaws are transferable - as Jim said. For doing small stuff you might need to budget for a set of pin jaws. [Edit: no, actually 25mm jaws]

All round the SuperNova2 should meet most of your needs unless you develop an obsession eg. for turning the huge redgum burls that you occasionally see up your way.

Carroll's provide good advice and service and I can recommend them - btw I have no pecuniary interest in their operation; I do like to support local suppliers though.

[Edit: ps, I'm a fan of Vicmarc shark jaws but Teknatool have the long-nose jobs; I use them with faceplate rings to start the outside shaping of medium bowls - easier than using the woodworm screw]

Happy Chappy
19th December 2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the assistance - sounds like the Supernova will be more than suitable.