PDA

View Full Version : how do you spread glue

Trav
19th December 2005, 01:48 PM
I was making a breadboard on the weekend and I ended up getting glue all over the place. Then I saw David Marks speading it with a roller, which I thought was a pretty cool idea - but I had no idea on how to clean it.

So, fess up. Do you just splash it around, or do you paint it on like Picasso?

Trav

echnidna
19th December 2005, 01:54 PM
I use a paintbrush.
This is an old tradesmans method.
Who is David Marks???
Is he a tradesman?
I always have a pack of $2 crap brushes just for glueing.
This gives me varying widths to use depending on what I'm gluing up.
I drop them in a jar of water when finished so I usually wear out the bristles before I throw them out.
Rollers might have some advantages but they're a pain to clean

zenwood
19th December 2005, 02:15 PM
I mostly do edge jointing, and spread glue with a MkI finger. That's with PVA. For urethane or epoxy I have a packet of ice-block sticks that I cut to the required shape with a chisel.

Iain
19th December 2005, 02:19 PM
Who is Lance Armstrong???
I use a finger and have a rag nearby or an icypole stick, I have used a brush for large surfaces when veneering.
The only problem I have with the cheap brushes is they are a bit like me, the hairs keep falling out and I hate picking them out of glue.
Having said that I still use them.

Wood Borer
19th December 2005, 02:23 PM
I use a similar method to Bob (Echnidna) for dovetails. Rather than use a brush, I get a satay stick, soak the end in water for a couple of minutes and then belt it a couple of times with a hammer on some steel. This makes the end a bit like a small brush.

Whilst I am rushing around adjusting clamps and mopping up excess glue I don't have to worry about remembering to clean the brush. Next time I want to glue, I chop the end off the satay stick and make another new end.

They are cheap and disposable and work OK for me.

For edge gluing I use my finger to spread the glue evenly like Zenwood.:o

IanW
19th December 2005, 02:31 PM
Finger for PVA; a stick for epoxy or melamine,(don't brush too well, and I'm NOT sticking fingers in that stuff!); a brush for hide glue (I know, real men would use their fingers and relish the pain, but I'm a bit of a sook. ;) )

Cheers,

outback
19th December 2005, 02:40 PM
stick, finger, brush, depends how big an area, and type of glue.

Termite
19th December 2005, 03:01 PM
Stick for poly.
And for PVA I've got a bigger selection of brushes than the average artist, bull artist that is. :D

AlexS
19th December 2005, 03:02 PM
I use either a kitchen spatula - I have 2, one with a round end and one with the end cut at an angle - or a satay stick. I keep a supply of sticks with a point at one end and a flat cut at the other. Like Woodborer, I just re-cut after use.

savage
19th December 2005, 03:15 PM
All of the above, except when doing a med to lrg area I use a rubber spreader (car bog type) and roughly spread the glue around, you get the hang of it pretty quick and the glue just peels off when dry!...:) But I voted brush, cheap if I forget to wash'em out, last a while if I do remember to clean'em!...:)

Gumby
19th December 2005, 03:27 PM
A one word answer to how I spread glue:

Everywhere !!!

:D :D

or with a small, elcheapo paint brush.

Landseka
19th December 2005, 04:41 PM
I voted "Brush" but I actually use a pensioned off toothbrush.

Toss it in a jar of water between jobs & it is always ready and NEVER seems to drop hairs, unlike our last "shaggy dog" (a golden retriever):)

Regards

Neil.

JDarvall
19th December 2005, 05:59 PM
Old toothbrushes. Colgate.

johnc
19th December 2005, 06:29 PM
Toothbrush, icey pole stick, cheap brush, or just squirt from a bottle and clean up the mess with a damp rag. I major in mess when gluing:eek: but seem to keep the work piece free its just fingers, clothes and bench that seem to cop it.:rolleyes:

John.

ozwinner
19th December 2005, 06:49 PM
Tillywhacker!!
Getting it off has some suprise moves involved. :eek:

Al :)

Just George
19th December 2005, 06:51 PM
Air compressor and spray gun when using spray adhesive, a sanded dowle for doweling, a brush for dovetails.

Cliff Rogers
19th December 2005, 08:59 PM
Tillywhacker!....

You'll be sent to the orange room if you don't mind your manners young man. :D

Driver
19th December 2005, 09:56 PM
All of the above.

Tend to use whatever is nearest to hand. If I'm edge gluing, I apply the glue directly from the nozzle on the end of the glue bottle and rely on compression to spread the glue through the joint.

For most other applications, everything from my finger through all the variations mentioned.

Incidentally, Zed, mate. Don't succumb to the temptations apparently represented by Lance Armstrong's socks. This is not a good thing. Trust me on this.

Schtoo
19th December 2005, 09:59 PM
Tillywhacker!!

Any relation to this (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=18595) guy? :eek: :o :D

derekcohen
19th December 2005, 11:53 PM
I turned a bunch of old (hanging) butter knives into spatulas. They clean up in water. Last forever.

Regards from Perth

Derek

redwood
20th December 2005, 12:01 AM
I use a similar method to Bob (Echnidna) for dovetails. Rather than use a brush, I get a satay stick, soak the end in water for a couple of minutes and then belt it a couple of times with a hammer on some steel. This makes the end a bit like a small brush.

What a terific idea:D i use my fingers but have a bad habit of wipeing the exess off under my arm (old work jumper on) but some occasions in summer when i have a singlet on i forget ... yuk:eek:

Trav
20th December 2005, 08:06 AM
I turned a bunch of old (hanging) butter knives into spatulas. They clean up in water. Last forever.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Now that sounds like a good idea. Nice one Derek

Trav

Eastie
20th December 2005, 12:37 PM
I stock up on the small rectangles of benchtop laminate from the kitchen display type places. They work fine as is on small stuff and I cut grooves in them when required to leave bead lines of glue (when laminating). I find they spread evenly and it stops me getting it over my hands and then over the work when clamping. They also work well as shims behind the router fence when needed, for mixing casting resin and probably have another 98 uses... to top it off - they're free :D

Rabbit
20th December 2005, 01:57 PM
Howdy Folks!

Been awhile since I posted, but had to join this one. I like the "everywhere" answer best!

:p:p

Greg Q
20th December 2005, 02:26 PM
...as a joke once. It was an arm if recall correctly, worked pretty well. I think its the only hand I've ever gotten in the shed.

Now that I have matured a little, I use a hard rubber roller from an art supply shop. I think it was $12.00, cleans up in warm water.

Greg

bitingmidge
20th December 2005, 10:23 PM
I always have a pack of $2 crap brushes
I buy the $2.00 per dozen ones from Lee Valley!

I thought David Marks were those stains you get when a fig leaf falls on a workpiece before the varnish has dried.

P

:rolleyes:

scottyk
20th December 2005, 10:54 PM
I'm with eastie, nothing beats laminex scraper, file a few notches in it and away you go. The bigger the notches the more glue applied. If you need practice have a go at a laminated timber yacht hull this tends to lead to perfection of these notches!;)
Thats my bit.....

Tex B
21st December 2005, 09:10 AM
So do you brush guys put the glue on the timber, or squirt the glue on the brush, or 'decant' the glue into a container and dip?

I've always just squirted it on the timber and mushed it around with my finger.

Tex

ele__13
21st December 2005, 12:39 PM
Tillywhacker!!

MR AL :mad:
firstly why wack tilly ???
and how do u know about tillysticks ??

ill explain

Our Niece is Tilly
and a tillystick is the piece of wood that attaches to the spiky bit on the bottom of a chello so it doesnt leave big holes or scratch floors .....

oh yeah in answer to glueing fingers work wiff oooey goooey white pva stuff
and with other glue a icypole stick works for me ....

cheers and happy xmas all jules

PS wahoooooo im not a beaut bloke any more !!!!!!:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

QldWoodie
21st December 2005, 01:21 PM
For epoxy: Disposable brushes, come in packs of 48 for about $10 at any Woodcraft Store throughout the USA --- haven't seen them in Australia though. Cheap enough to use once and throw away.

For PVA etc. ... the same brushes, but rinsed out and re-used.

Since I got onto these disposable brushes my glueing life (at least with epoxy) has been transformed. In Qld in summer I get about 10 minutes, 15 minutes max, before a batch of epoxy gets too stiff to apply. Fingers and pieces of wood can't do the job in the time.

Qw

Andy Mac
21st December 2005, 01:27 PM
I always have an icecream container full of small double-ended spatulas I make from offcuts. Made by the batch, bandsawn and finished with disc sander, in a range of widths. And I decant PVA from the big bottles into squeezie tomato sauce bottles.
Brush when laminate bending.

Cheers,

Groggy
21st December 2005, 01:43 PM
Toothbrush. Then, when it is useless for glue, I clean sanding belts and drums with the plastic handle until there is virtually nothing left.

ozwinner
21st December 2005, 05:26 PM
Toothbrush. Then, when it is useless for glue, I clean sanding belts and drums with the plastic handle until there is virtually nothing left.

That prolly explains the green teeth.

Al :D

Groggy
21st December 2005, 05:58 PM
That prolly explains the green teeth.
Hey, I resemble that remark!