PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite

Greg Kaldor
21st December 2005, 01:57 AM
Hellow All,
First Post. I have some friends driving to Arizona next month and have offered to get some mesquite for me. Question is where would they go? How much would I expect to pay and is this a very good wood for Salad Bowls.
Greg :D

PAH1
21st December 2005, 09:41 AM
You may find replies a bit thin on the ground as this is an aussie site. However there are from memory two mesquite suppliers in arizona. One is in Yuma, I came accross the site doing a google something like "woodturning arizona". They supply blanks and all sorts of stabilised wood for pen turning. The other one is a womans name and I can not think of the site name at the moment. As far as I know mesquite is as good as any to make salad bowls from.

Greg Kaldor
21st December 2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks Pah1,
I actually had no idea where where this site primarilly was. So I am grateful for you setting me straight before I embarressed myself further.
Greg :eek:

PAH1
21st December 2005, 12:11 PM
Thats alright greg, you were just lucky that you got somebody who had actually lived in Arizona to give you a reply. I went back for a conference last year and thought about trying to get some mesquite etc for myself, however Yuma was just a bit too far for the day drive I wanted.

Anyway have a good day and welcome to the board.

bsrlee
21st December 2005, 08:45 PM
I was hopeing you were going to offer some around here. I believe Weatherby make, or used to make, the gunstocks for their top of the line hand cannons from the stuff, so it should be available in decent sized bits too.

PAH1
22nd December 2005, 08:24 AM
If you really want some in Aus it is a declared weed (as far as I know) and a contact was given in one of the back issues of a supplier in QLD. It was a G. Hatfield article on turning a bowl and had a major error in the article.

Jeff
31st December 2005, 04:21 PM
I've turned a little mesquite. I've found it to be brittle and hard to turn into anything before it breaks up. It is probably fine for bowls as far as toxicity is concerned. I would reccomend trying to get some that is still green, and turn it before it dries. It may still check out or break apart, but it is worth a try. I think the best way is just to go there. It's gotta be a nice break from your winter weather! I'm up in Washington. My conclusion so far is that it's great for the smoker and the barbeque! :D