PDA

View Full Version : Chisel Sharpening Perth?

smidsy
22nd December 2005, 05:57 AM
Hei Guys,
I have 2 Hamlett chisels - a half inch skew and a deep sided bowl gouge.

I have the jigs and am relatively content to subject the chinese chisels to my low skills and too small (6 inch) grinder but would prefer to have the hamletts done properly.
Is there a place in Perth I can take them?
Cheers
Paul

rsser
23rd December 2005, 08:28 AM
Paul, the skew should be a doddle to do yourself.

Do you have one of those 40 buck Taiwanese platorms? Just set the sliding mitre to bring the skew edge parallel to the wheel, and the platform angle to bring the bevel flush with the wheel. Do this before turning it on, and then just pass evenly and gently across the wheel. Do one teensy pass first to check the angles. Piece of p...

Baz
23rd December 2005, 02:40 PM
Paul, so what happens next time they are blunt?time to bite the bullet. Those tools are probably going to outlast you unless you are turning fulltime.
Cheers
Barry

bsrlee
23rd December 2005, 08:21 PM
Sounds like you need a lesson or two from Gatiep - he'll be along shortly I hope ;)

smidsy
24th December 2005, 03:33 PM
Hei Guys,
I was actually taught to sharpen at my turning club but I don't do it enough to keep up the skill.

I am happey enough to get the chinese chisels near enough, but would prefer the hamlets to be exact.

On my current usage the hamlets need a touch up every 6 to 8 months so I am happy to pay that infrequently.
Cheers
Paul

The Big O
25th December 2005, 07:41 AM
"All tool sharpening" in Peel Road, O'Connor are very good and very cheap.