PDA

View Full Version : bugs / white ants??

GC
22nd December 2005, 10:03 PM
Hi All,

I found a collection of bugs / weavels / white ant or whatever you call them in a heap of silky oak I have.

It has turned some of it to powder, mostly around the sapwood.

Remedy?
I know throw it out would be easy, but any spray I can use to protect the other timber it was near?

thanks - gc

Gumby
22nd December 2005, 10:27 PM
Mate, you'd better be more specific. If you have white ants, you have more a major problem which won't be fixed by spraying a bit of stuff around. They eat everything and build mud tunnels to stay away from the light. Can you post a pic?

But it sounds more like borers which don't travel from one piece to another.

TritonJapan
22nd December 2005, 10:40 PM
Gumby,

Do you know if there has been a thread on the differrent timber eating bugs, how to get rid of them or prevent them etc?

I know there will be geographical differences, but would probably be of interest to many.

Steve

P.S. Nice box in the latest Club newsletter.

Gumby
22nd December 2005, 11:21 PM
There were a couple recently, not sure how much info is in there. A search on termites in here or Google will reveal lots. ;) Thanks about the box.:)

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=24318&highlight=termites

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=23994&highlight=termites

GC
23rd December 2005, 12:01 AM
must be bora, will take some pics tomorrow and attach.

thanks gumby

gc

echnidna
23rd December 2005, 10:19 AM
soak the timber in turps, it'll kill insects and eggs

RufflyRustic
23rd December 2005, 10:38 AM
Echidna beat me to it. I had some silky oak with borers in the sapwood and I even saw two of the little mongrels poking their heads out :mad: So I doused the piece in Turpentine - outside and I was standing upwind as it's pretty strong stuff - and borers were no more!! :) Other than that, cut the sapwood off.

cheers
RufflyRustic

bsrlee
23rd December 2005, 08:52 PM
If you don't have any turps, wrap the whole thing thightly in black plastic & leave in the stinking hot sun for a few days. That should kill just about anything, it doesn't smell bad & its cheap :p