PDA

View Full Version : Love It :)

DarrylF
29th December 2005, 09:32 PM
My new lathe was delivered this morning, and is now sitting proudly in place (thanks AlexS & Termite) ready for many decades making square stuff round :)

http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/images/hires/VL300ESVX.jpg

Got a good deal from Carbatec - the floor model but not a scratch on it.

Absolutely beautiful piece of machinery - superbly engineered and SERIOUSLY heavy. Even the door of the motor compartment is 5mm thick steel plate.

I managed to drop the hardwood pallet on my toe while dragging it out of the way, so I spent the rest of the day hobbling around. Interesting shade of purple it is now :)

Edit: Just realised I had a pic of the VL200 in there - it's actually a VL300 :)

AlexS
29th December 2005, 10:16 PM
My new lathe & stand was collected this morning from DarrylF. Reshuffled the workshop and assembled it this afternoon, have been reading the book tonight ready for my first go at turning tomorrow.

Seriously envious of Darryl's new toy, but very happy with mine. Good to catch up with Darryl again, and to meet Termite.

Wooohoooo!

Termite
30th December 2005, 06:30 AM
Don't know if it's the excitement or the pain from his toe, but DarrylF has put in the wrong picture. The one he has is the VL300 not the VL200. A lot more swing.

OK, So now he's changed the picture. :o

Termite
30th December 2005, 03:28 PM
Update on DarrylF's toe, it's black and veeeerrrrryyy sore, just been round to see "Limpy".

TimberNut
30th December 2005, 04:02 PM
Darryl,

excellent choice mate! I have a VL300 also. Got it just over 12 months ago. You will now be wanting to contact Enzo at Vermec for some cool additionals for it (firstly I suggest the swivelling bed extension).

Need any other suggestions for extra bits and pieces to compliment such a fine machine, just PM me.

If it ain't the best lathe around, it's gotta be close. I love mine so I can see why you'd be so chuffed with your new toy! Hope it gives you as much pleasure as mine does for me.

Have fun, make some dust !!!!

DavidG
30th December 2005, 06:16 PM
Maybe we should start a '300' club.:D

Baz
30th December 2005, 08:42 PM
Congratulations Darryl, I am sure you are going to enjoy it. Count me in the 300 club, had mine for 3 years.
Cheers
Barry

DarrylF
31st December 2005, 06:46 AM
Thanks guys - good to see everyone is happy with theirs :) Just looking at the lathe I couldn't imagine anyone finding fault with it, superb bit of engineering - you don't see that sort of quality very much any more.

Glad I didn't have to join the current 4 month waiting list for one though :)

Still haven't used it - I want to set up the work area properly first, back board with chisel racks, tool racks, lightling etc. Hopefully in a couple days I'll be ready to roll. Got a couple large chunks of timber desperately wanting to be bowls :)

routermaniac
31st December 2005, 09:28 AM
that looks like a serious piece of machinery, have fun :)

barnsey
1st January 2006, 02:15 AM
Thanks guys - good to see everyone is happy with theirs :) Just looking at the lathe I couldn't imagine anyone finding fault with it, superb bit of engineering - you don't see that sort of quality very much any more.

Glad I didn't have to join the current 4 month waiting list for one though :)

Still haven't used it - I want to set up the work area properly first, back board with chisel racks, tool racks, lightling etc. Hopefully in a couple days I'll be ready to roll. Got a couple large chunks of timber desperately wanting to be bowls :)
C'mon Everyone turns something before it's all setup That's half the fun - besides when you do it you will want to change everything anyway to suit you.:D

Don't disappoint that timber - give it a go:D;)