PDA

View Full Version : Pass the MC900 kiss test

TTIT
1st January 2006, 11:59 PM
Saw a thread recently that mentioned filing away the base of a tailstock that was higher than the headstock so that it would pass the 'kiss-test'. Made my skin crawl to think about it - any expanse of metal I attempt to file away invariably ends up curved:(. My MC900 has always been out just enough to be annoying but not bad enough to stop turning. 0.3mm doesn't seem like much but when you're holding a fragile piece in the chuck and bring up the tailstock for support - say no more!!! Easy fixed!:) After removing the headstock, I found it could be raised by slipping an easy-to-make shim between the bed and the swivel base. Didn't cost a cent either - an old biscuit tin lid turned out to be 0.3mm thick - perfect.;)
First attachment shows the swivel base at left and the 'shim' to the right on the lathe bed. Second pic shows that perfect kiss!

PS: The rest of the biscuit tin is actually part of my home-made plate-sanders dust collection system - nothing goes to waste around here!

hcbph
2nd January 2006, 03:22 AM
I don't have this lathe but good to hear you found a sane solution. Too many people get out the grinders and files without really understanding what might happen.

Paul

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd January 2006, 12:21 AM
Thank you! Greeny on it's way.

Since new, mine had always been a few mm out in the horizontal plane, with a bit of wobble. So, after turning outboard I always had to eff around with the headstock before the centres matched.

The casting was pretty pathetic around the headstock end of my lathe bed with dags everywhere, especially around the headstock's lock-ring. So a while ago I deburred it with a Dremel and grind-wheel.

That fixed that problem... except... now... it's a bit low, like yours. :o

Simple fix, low cost. I like that! ;)

Toasty
20th July 2006, 08:52 PM
an old biscuit tin lid turned out to be 0.3mm thick
Gotta give this old thread a healthy bump!

The tailstock on my DVR3000 was down on the headstock by the merest poofteenths and I was asking about it (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=34745) in the pen turning forum when I saw your thread linked at the bottom. Was at work today and somebody opened a fresh 1kg tin of 43beans and I fairly dived at it with a knife screaming, "Don't destroy the seal!!!"

Brought my newly cut piece of coffee can lining tin home and while it was too cold in the garage to do anything serious with it when I slipped a piece under one side of the tailstock it brought it up to almost dead perfect with the headstock. I'm sure when I cut it in half and have a piece for both sides it will be bang on, but my fingies got too cold so it will wait for the weekend.

Thanks TTIT, I would have given you a greeny but I need to share the love a bit more. Dammit man, stop being so helpful!

La truciolara
20th July 2006, 11:28 PM
That fixed that problem... except... now... it's a bit low, like yours. :o

Simple fix, low cost. I like that! ;)
So you know what you have to do.... Eat biscuits...:D

Dave Smith
21st July 2006, 02:08 AM
This is what I love about forums. You get answers to questions you didn't know you should ask.

Thanks for the really great solution to a very little problem. But little is relatively big sometime.

I know what 1kg is but haven't a clue what 43beans is.

Dave Smith

Weekend forecast, high 90's, die soon in Longview, WA, USA.

Gil Jones
21st July 2006, 05:16 AM
43 beans used to be about Nescafe coffee, what does it refer to in OZ?

Toasty
21st July 2006, 08:24 AM
I know what 1kg is but haven't a clue what 43beans is.
Gil nailed it, 43 beans refers to Nescafe Instant Coffee ;)

cedar n silky
21st July 2006, 09:48 AM
Gil nailed it, 43 beans refers to Nescafe Instant Coffee ;)
43 beans in every cup!! that's what they reckoned!:D
Good solution TTIT. Shims are great, and only yesterday I lined up the point on my drive spur and tail spur, and it was "thankfully" prefect.:)
cheers;)

rsser
21st July 2006, 06:13 PM
Sh*t hot tip TTIT.

As a by the way, my 2nd hand Stubby wouldn't pass the kiss test so I faffed around with setups and sent queries via the internet jungle drums. Eventually found that the pin on the drive spur was bent. (Despite several times having refitted the drive to retest it hadn't come up 'smacking'.) So in this case, it's not measure twice cut once, it's measure umpteen times!