PDA

View Full Version : Turned verandah post

cathnniv
5th January 2006, 10:47 PM
Hi,
I have recently bought three oregon turned verandah posts around three metres long and i need another one turned to match, possibly another three if the wallet allows.

My question is how much is it likely to cost per post and can any woodturner do it or do you need a larger lathe for something this long?

Also what kind of timeframe is expected?

I'd want it in oregon also or possibly a pine if i could stain to match.

Groggy
5th January 2006, 10:51 PM
Hi,
I have recently bought three oregon turned verandah posts around three metres long and i need another one turned to match, possibly another three if the wallet allows.

My question is how much is it likely to cost per post and can any woodturner do it or do you need a larger lathe for something this long?

I'd want it in oregon also or possibly a pine if i could stain to match.Shouldn't be too hard. You can turn two segments then join them when finished with a large dowel. A lot of pro's will have larger capacity lathes. I'd hazard a guess that nearly any experienced turner should be able to do it for you.

RETIRED
5th January 2006, 10:58 PM
You should never join long posts in the middle particularly if they are load bearing and even more so if oregon.

It bend, twists, warps, cracks and bows too much.

I would say that the posts are of a standard design if in oregon as most smaller job lot turners (like me) use laminated pine. Oregon is is just too unstable.

Where did you buy them? Have you checked whether or not they have some more.

Cost if a one off is approx $150-170.

Groggy
5th January 2006, 11:03 PM
I should have stated I am not a turner, thanks for the correction !

Ozartisan
6th January 2006, 02:12 PM
Don't know where you are in NSW, but I know Bernie Rodda at Timbertown Woodturning at Wauchope has a big mutha lathe - was once run from a steam engine.. he turned the verandah posts for his building at Timbertown.
His phone is 65853074

DavidG
6th January 2006, 05:03 PM
Why not ask . He has a little lathe. (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/.htm)

cathnniv
9th January 2006, 03:47 PM
Hi,
I live in Goulburn NSW, Love Wauhope but a little to far hehe.
I brought them off the local second hand timber yard, he had three sets of three posts. No more the same as mine.

I'll contact a few woodies around here then, thanx for the advice.

Snowy
9th January 2006, 04:51 PM
Try Fedwood at Rozelle
www.fedwood.com.au

regards Snowy

Andraax
11th January 2006, 11:21 AM
Hi,

I'd want it in oregon also or possibly a pine if i could stain to match.

Bunning Special orders do it but they are not cheap about $250 each for pine. I looked into it when making my four poster bed.

Andraax
11th January 2006, 11:22 AM
Bunning Special orders do it but they are not cheap about $250 each for pine. I looked into it when making my four poster bed.

Owwwww, I stand corrected (and bruised in the arm) should have said my WIFE'S four poster bed.

La truciolara
16th January 2006, 06:06 AM
cathnnivToo bad I am so far away, as post do not present any turning problem if you have the apropriate lathe.
I even turned posts 5 m long by puting too lathe together :)