PDA

View Full Version : Turning branches

ribot
6th January 2006, 03:52 PM
I have just been playing around on the lathe turning short lengths of branch/wood into stemed weed pot type, ornamental objects.
The branches I am using are green and allthough the stems aren't splitting, nore are the tops however the bases are cracking and I was wondering if anyone has a way of stopping the bases from splitting.
The thickness of the branch material is approx 50mm and the height is approx 80mm. the stem thickness is down to about three mm at it's thinnest.
I position them in the lathe about three mm off centre so they look better and I don't have to worry about turning on the "heartline" of the branch.
Hope this makes sense? Any ideas?

DavidG
6th January 2006, 04:19 PM
Hollow out the base so all the wood is thin.

rsser
6th January 2006, 04:20 PM
What kind of wood Ribot?

Some species crack the moment you look at them - like fruitwoods or Tas myrtle. Others like Silver Birch, Plane or Norfolk Pine are pretty stable.

Microwaving won't help much given the variation in thickness. Some people boil but I've not had much luck with this.

ribot
6th January 2006, 06:52 PM
Species; Prunis something or other, commonly called Cherry plum.
I was hoping no one would bring up the even thinness issue. Might resort to that if nothing else is in the offering. Thanks guys.

rsser
6th January 2006, 07:20 PM
Yeah, think it's a fruitwood. Good luck.

PS Love your signature quote. I'm married to a bike, but we're not that close ;-}

ribot
7th January 2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks rsser, I might have to go with David g's advice.
The bike quote is a bit of a tribute to a great , fun guy "Barry Sheene" bit of a pommy larikin who loved racing motorbikes.
He was a commentator on channel 10 for RPM covering motorsports including (then)500cc bikes v8 supercars, F1 etc.
seeya.

ribot
16th January 2006, 09:02 AM
Thanks DavidG turned another pot before going on holidays last week and hollowed out the base as you suggested. No cracks or splitting whatsoever, so it did the trick.
The base has movement ,distortion as you might expect and I guess this is what is stopping the base from splitting.
A light touch on the belt sander an the base is nice and stable.
Problem solved, thanks.