PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a havco wl-18 wood lathe

rocabig
14th January 2006, 07:16 AM
I have a havco wl-18 wood lathe just had it for years, been using it yesterday and for some reason I touched the motor after use and it was bloody hot. was not turning any thing that stressed the machine or taking too deep cuts, just wondering if any one else has had this happen?:confused:

it has a smooth cased motor would heat sinks you can get from dick smiths help keep these types of smooth cased motors cooler

thanks

Richard:o

TTIT
15th January 2006, 12:25 PM
Providing you can get it to conform to the shape of the motor for maximum contact area, anything conductive that increases the surface area will help considerably. I have an MC900 (equivalent to your WL-18) with the finned motor and it doesn't get too hot at all.:)

hughie
16th January 2006, 12:12 AM
Hi,
I have a one some what similar and the motor gets hot. I figured it was a Chinese/Taiwanese and made to a price $$$:D rather to a quality standard.
I cut the grill off the back of the fan cowl as it was restrictive and partially covered the motor with a extended fan cowl, round about 2/3s of the dia and a similar length. This forces the air over the out side of the motor and also keeps any dust build up down. It still gets warm but not as much as before.
I note the newer motors have a ali housing and cooling fins....
hughie

rocabig
16th January 2006, 11:11 PM
Thanks will try the cowling trick if I feel it is still getting too warm will add on some heat sinks.

Richard