PDA

View Full Version : Thanks a Bloody Lot

Wood Butcher
14th January 2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks a bloody lot to the whole lot of you boaties. I have been reading all of the boat threads that have been posted here lately and been getting very interested. Very, very interested.
Now I can't get the idea of building something floatable out of my head. I am know that it is not possible at the moment as I have a couple of other projects on the go that have to be finished first :(, but as soon as they are done I am thinking about starting with a simple canoe. I will have to learn how to fibreglass etc first, but fortunately I have a mate who does fibreglass repairs for a living so maybe he will give a few lessons.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for books etc that would be good reading to brush up on my knowledge. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!

------------------------------------------
www.simplysoap.com.au

Daddles
14th January 2006, 11:21 PM
Why the hell do you need to learn how to fibreglass:confused:

Richard

Wood Butcher
15th January 2006, 12:56 PM
Why the hell do you need to learn how to fibreglass:confused:

I thought thats how you do 'stitch and tape' method? I was thinking of the Eureka canoe that Bitingmidge is doing for my first project.

Daddles
15th January 2006, 01:17 PM
I thought thats how you do 'stitch and tape' method? I was thinking of the Eureka canoe that Bitingmidge is doing for my first project.

Ahhh, now me understands your confusions and my son, I am glad to hear you aren't contemplating the dark side and going to tupperware boats :D

In stitch and tape, you lay fibreglass tape in epoxy. Dunno whether you'd call that fibreglassing or not. Even if you go mad and cover the thing f/glass or dynell, I'm not sure if it's really like what a fibreglasser does for a living ... well, not for the purposes of being bloody minded about the purity of wooden boats vs tupperware anyway:D

In either case, you don't need to learn how to glass first and don't really need the help of someone who can ... though like all these things, it's useful having someone with some glimmer of understanding of the job at hand - it allows you to be much more creative with your stuffups.

Buy the plans and dive in me lad. In boat building, the mistake has not been made that can not be fixed with epoxy (to quote John Welsford).

Richard

Auld Bassoon
15th January 2006, 07:54 PM
In boat building, the mistake has not been made that can not be fixed with epoxy (to quote John Welsford).

Richard

Did anyone point this out to the builders (?) of the Collins Class :confused: :eek: :D

echnidna
15th January 2006, 08:33 PM
I wonder if some epoxy could fix the Titanic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bitingmidge
16th January 2006, 08:44 AM
If it's a simple canoe you are after you can't go past the Eureka!

If you can't find the Eureka Canoe thread it's here: http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=10486&highlight=eureka+canoe

NO, I don't have any commercial affilliations, but the plans cost less than a book on the subject, and give you all the instructions you'll ever need. (and BoatMik will provide any support as well!)

If you need more than that, a trip to the Sunny Coast, will fix.... or I could even be pursuaded up the range if a look at a boat was on the cards!

Cheers,

P:D

Wood Butcher
16th January 2006, 04:44 PM
If you can't find the Eureka Canoe thread it's here:
Trust me, I know where it is, I keep checking to see when you are going to finish it.

If you need more than that, a trip to the Sunny Coast, will fix
I think I will take you up on that offer. I have family that I plan to see up that way mid year and might try to organise a detour your way.:D

Had a look at the ply price list at work today and it seems that I can get some 6mm marine grade ply for around $50 a sheet and 6mm WBP exterior for around $25. I checked with the sales rep and he said that the only difference was the quality of the internal veneers. Marine grade had all A grade veneers and Exterior may have small defects in the internal veneers. So... if the whole canoe is going to get a coat of epoxy to water proof it, I can't see why good quality WBP exterior ply won't do the job? Any thoughts.

TK1
23rd January 2006, 07:50 AM
HI,

If you are after boat books, try the following shop - Boat Books sells what the name says. Not sure about the Qld shop, but the Melbourne one is a great source for nautical books and they always have a stock of boatbuilding titles.

Queensland Shop:
109 Albert St, Brisbane
QLD 4000 AUSTRALIA
T: +61 7 3229 6427
F: +61 7 3221 9391

Or have a look at www.boatbooks-aust.com.au

There are a few very good books (mainly from the US of course) about canoe and kayak building which cover SnG as well as strip planking techniques.

Enjoy the boatbuilding when you get to it...in the meantime a few books will provide the right inspiration! As soon as I get my workshop and yard sorted I'll take a break from the model ships and build a full-size boat.

Regards,
Darren
Malbourne

scottyk
23rd January 2006, 11:06 PM
The Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction
That is the only book I consider to be the complete guide to wood/epoxy boat construction. It will cost a bit, ($70 in hard back) but they invented 99% of the techniques that we all use today. Nothing else comes close.
Scotty

Boatmik
23rd January 2006, 11:54 PM
The Gougeon book is truly excellent but, I believe, out of print. I refer to it quite often.

However a lot of the material is also in their (the Gougeon's) publication about Wooden boat Restoration and repair. And it only costs $10.

Another neat little publication is the one put out by Bote Cote - which is also under $10.

The Eureka plans have all the methods explained, but if you are getting into the whole thing you can get a huge amount of useful info for under $20.

Best Regards
Boatmik

Wild Dingo
26th January 2006, 02:55 PM
Feather Canoes by Mac McCarthy is the book you need :cool:

Welcome to the insane world of "Which bloody design!" :p

Wild Dingo
26th January 2006, 02:58 PM
oh Mac goes from stage one to the whole shammozle... building the form to marking the moulds to standing them up to cutting the strips to routing the strips to layin them up to fiberglassing the inside and outside to decorations to making your own seat and paddle... he includes the plans to both wee lassie 1 and wee lassie 2 canoes (12ft and 14ft) hes available by email and is a bloody top bloke... excellent value for money in my book!

bitingmidge
26th January 2006, 03:15 PM
Yes indeed Mr Dingo, I agree with all your sentiments.

In fact I have the moulds cut out for both the I and the II sitting in my workshop ceiling. The strongback is now empty (I used it when we prototyped the Eureka panels in 2004 :eek:).

Of course if it takes me five or eight years to build a simple stitch and glue canoe, and I have a rowboat to build after that... how long do you think it'll take for the significantly more time consuming strip plank ones??

I'll do them one day, watch this space!

P
:D :D :D

ozwinner
26th January 2006, 03:28 PM
I'll do them one day, watch this space!

P
:D :D :D

I hope my eyes are good enough by then.

Al :p :D