PDA

View Full Version : What glue?

robri
15th January 2006, 04:07 PM
Which glue would you use for Sugar Gum. It is a hard timber, heavier than redgum - with straighter grain - has a bit of oil - would you use urea formalheyde or Epoxy Resin or something else?
I have glued it once for the top of the unit that I am doing but it moved - I used urea formalheyde.

Thoughts??

What is your opinion.

NewLou
15th January 2006, 06:17 PM
Gidday robri:)

Any of the modern type of glues should do the Job. If used correctly they will cure harder than the wood. The movement is probably more to do with the moisture content in the wood and the type of joinery you have used.

If you do not allow for wood movement in the joinery you have used then you are likely to have problems.

If you want to make an airloom piece thats fully repairable then Hide glue is the go....................HAs a lot of unique features that help with any repair jobs down the track (Often something Epoxy & other types of moden day glue users fail to consider).

If you post a pic and tell us how you have gone about the joinery you have used we may be able to help some more.

Keep them posts comin:)

REgards Lou:D

robri
15th January 2006, 06:47 PM
Thanks Lou - the movement was between 5 boards glued up with biscuits. The length was 1metre - each board about 120 mm. The original jion was very tight - used about 5 biscuits. This time I will use about 8 and seal it as soon as I can. Is this the best method?

gpsmith
15th January 2006, 06:59 PM
Hi,
Urea should have been okay - did you clamp the pieces after gluing? When did they move - after drying/curing or when gluing up?

You said the boards were 1 metre by 120mm how thick/deep are they - it might be an idea if they are 30mm or more to double biscuit the boards.

regards and happy new year.

echnidna
15th January 2006, 07:14 PM
were the boards you glued up straight before you glued them or did you pull them straight with clamps?

robri
15th January 2006, 07:14 PM
Hi,
Urea should have been okay - did you clamp the pieces after gluing? When did they move - after drying/curing or when gluing up?

You said the boards were 1 metre by 120mm how thick/deep are they - it might be an idea if they are 30mm or more to double biscuit the boards.

regards and happy new year.

Thanks Smithy - the boards are 25 mm so should be thick enough.

I left them glued up for a couple of days, sanded and finished them ready to fit but needed some more wood and being difficult to get it took a couple of weeks. Changed work jobs so didn't get back to the project for a couple of months. Left them un-clamped which was probaboy a mistake as having sanded them they would have taken in more mositure - or let some out

robri
15th January 2006, 07:27 PM
were the boards you glued up straight before you glued them or did you pull them straight with clamps?

Would have only pulled them in about .5 - 1mm at the most - if at all

kiwigeo
15th January 2006, 08:02 PM
Which glue would you use for Sugar Gum. It is a hard timber, heavier than redgum - with straighter grain - has a bit of oil - would you use urea formalheyde or Epoxy Resin or something else?
I have glued it once for the top of the unit that I am doing but it moved - I used urea formalheyde.

Thoughts??

What is your opinion.

I'd probably use Titebond AR glue. If the timber's oily then give it a wipe with meths or acetone before gluing.