PDA

View Full Version : SA timber suppliers

mickp
16th January 2006, 07:30 PM
Hi

am after the names of some timber suppliers in SA.

I'm in whyalla & all thats available here are a couple of hardware shops selling pine, ply or mdf.

I travel to adelaide quite often and would love to know where to look.

any help will be greatly appreciated

Mick

Studley 2436
16th January 2006, 11:56 PM
welcome to the menagerie Mick

Handypine in Welland has a good range of stuff from Cypress Pine, to Blackwood, Jarrah, Vic Ash amongst others.

Ottos in Stepney has a reputation of charging a fortune. They have tons of radiata and Oregon which is another pine. They have a second yard in the next street though with a ton of interesting stuff, such as Sassafras. They do have a yard there with loads of old reclaimed stuff. Dunno what is there but worth a look.

All else failing give harry72 a bell he is in Pirie and still has a cube of Hardwood we got over from NSW. Harry is still a bit scared to do anything with it so maybe he will let you have a couple of sticks.

Studley

Harry72
17th January 2006, 11:23 AM
Bah... I cut some up the other day... made a window ledge for a mate!

zenwood
17th January 2006, 02:05 PM
I've only ever bought wood from bunnies or Otto's. Bunnies have radiata pine, tasmanian oak and 'durian', with small amounts of jarrah. Otto's have a large range of timbers (two pages of small font text). Prices seemed reasonable, according to my limited experience of wood-buying.

mickp
20th January 2006, 09:38 PM
thanks all for your help, made a note of detours to make next visit to the big smoke. it helps that swmbo wont drive in the city

dayvo
21st January 2006, 12:37 AM
Hello I'm still fairly new to your forum
You guys can give A1 Timbers in Hahndorf a look
Heres their link:
http://www.bukartilla.com.au/a1timber.html
I was up there recently and although he's no Otto's (as far as sheer size and range go) he has some interesting timber in stock;)
Regards
dayvo

JupiterCreek
4th June 2006, 11:50 PM
I'd add Australian Timbers at 141-145 Bedford Street, Gillman to the list. http://www.australiantimbers.com/Products/Timber/timber.html shows what they do. Gordon and Ian are at the Gilman yard. Both great guys with a lot of knowledge of timbers. Phone 8341 2721. I usually ring the day before with my order and they have the stock out and ready to load into the car.

They sell mainly to the trades and wholesale but they humour we small users too. Their grading of timber is a lot different to trade suppliers like Handipine and a world away from retailers like Bunnings. When these guys say it's clear or clear one side it's perfect, unlike some of the merch grade stuff others sell as clear. Some of their timber is milled or PAR, but most is offsaw so it helps if you have a thicknesser or jointer.

Hope that helps!

zenwood
5th June 2006, 12:33 AM
The website lists their address as 273 Magill Road, Trinity Gardens -- can you get timber from there?

JupiterCreek
5th June 2006, 12:38 AM
I've never been to the Magill Rd location, only the Gillman yard. When I first found them in the yellow pages they gave me Gordon's phone number for Gillman, so I've always gone there.