PDA

View Full Version : Chuck strike!

CanFly
17th January 2006, 03:34 PM
After a "close encounter" with my chuck it was apparent that something other than my poor memory was needed when working close to the chuck to avoid the possibility of a "real" accident.

I arrived at this idea, it's easy to apply, in my case with a small clamp. The material is a 1/4 plywood with a piece of plastic attached cut from one of my wife's planting pots.
Perhaps other readers have a better solution. It works for me!

DarrylF
17th January 2006, 07:19 PM
I saw another idea somewhere - might even be commercially made. A kind of sock that slips over the chuck, made from a heavy cloth with elastic both ends. Basically a tube of fabric. Protects you from the chuck, dead easy to put on & remove and not in the way.

Hmmm.... might have to get the better half to put the sewing machine & overlocker I got her for Xmas to work on making a couple :)

rsser
17th January 2006, 09:58 PM
Yeah, had one of those moments once when the tool collided with the chuck jaws.

Darn me if the HSS tool didn't take some fine slices off the medium tensile steel jaws.

I'm no metallurgist; just an expert in being gobsmacked.

Only once for each boo-boo though.

RETIRED
17th January 2006, 10:38 PM
Cut a tube (car type) and fit that on. Cheap and easy.

I try not to hit it.:rolleyes: :D

bsrlee
18th January 2006, 01:54 AM
Lee Valley have a multi-colored stripey elastic chuck cover.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th January 2006, 02:02 AM
Personally I don't think any sleeve would really have much effect if you clip the chuck... but I reckon it'd make the chuck'n'jaws more visible.

There've been times when it'd have been handy for that job alone.

JackoH
18th January 2006, 09:25 AM
Is that blood on the ducting?

hughie
18th January 2006, 12:25 PM
Yep, Have had a go at free hand chuck jaw turning. Its a great heart speed rate booster, but not recommended.

Now I pay particular attention when I am down at that end. Dont know if a sock of any sort would offer much protection other than to high light the jaws.
hughie

CanFly
18th January 2006, 02:54 PM
Re. my Chuck Strike post.

I have since made that gadget easier to appy and eliminated the clamp.

I use a one-inch rare earth magnet on the base and it's now even faster and easier to apply when needed. Magnets available from Lee VAlley Tools.

The coloured band is very nice looking on the chuck but not very protective if struck by a chuck jaw that is sticking out.

Ray

CanFly
18th January 2006, 03:01 PM
Is that blood on the ducting?

It darn well could have been had I been a tad closer!
I don't work without this device unless it's a nuisance.

rsser
18th January 2006, 03:48 PM
I like to use Shark or Long-nose jaws ... give better clearance.

8ball
19th January 2006, 02:23 PM
This isnt directly lathe related, but the thread reminded me of it, any guard you can put on to help , DO SO , last summer I changed the blade on my band saw and i was in a hurry to finish a seat for a rocking horse, i was cutting very close to the blade and paying particular attention to keeping my fingers out , well to make a long story short i stuck my arm into the backside of the blade where it goes back up when i attempted to reach behind the blade, and i hadnt put the guard on , who would have thought theyd get cut by that part? NOW , i ask you to look at your elbow wonder how much meat there is ther before you hit bone, paying diligent attention to what you are doing isnt enough for safety , make it dummy proof. WANNA SEE MY SCAR?

keith53
19th January 2006, 02:46 PM
Personally I don't think any sleeve would really have much effect if you clip the chuck... but I reckon it'd make the chuck'n'jaws more visible.

Thanks Skew, I thought I was missing something here. I, too, can't see any benefit other than visibility. Do you have a good light directly over your lathe? That'd be a good start. This isn't that much different to the recent post on table saw operation. i.e. know where your fingers/hands are and ditto for the tool in use. I always give myself a good margin of waste at the chuck end to avoid any possible disasters. The workpiece only needs to be another 25mm or so longer. Frankly, the protector you have in place looks like it would be unduly cumbersome. Then, I guess, whatever works...:)

CanFly
19th January 2006, 02:56 PM
The chuck guard is now fastend down to the bed with a rare earth magnet and is quick to apply. I don't understand the cumbersome part of your message, but, as you say, Whatever works!"