PDA

View Full Version : Poly Glue and Speed!!

robri
19th January 2006, 08:22 PM
Started the glue-up of the top of my project - sugar gum if you remember. Did 2x 2 boards last night and joined these together tonight.

Did a dry run - a bit tight but I thought it was OK.

Cleaned all down with actone, wet both sides - put on the glue and started to pull it all in from each end. Two ends ,et and then started with the centre but the ends had stuck so couldn't get the pieces how I wanted so decided to pull apart. It was difficult - but I did it. Will saw the biscuits and re- plane the pieces and have another go tomorrow.

Shows that 10 minutes is too short.

redwood
19th January 2006, 08:39 PM
problem simple. you dont need to wet both sides, and when you do you get water in the bic slots and the timber slightly swells. and im assuming you also put polly in the slots to. recipie for stickyness. their is no need to glue biscuits. just run a bead of polly down the centre of one board and avoid the slots , put biscuits in clamp and scrape of the foam. "then" wipe the surface clean with a damp cloth, that dampness is all you need to set of the polly :D

Termite
20th January 2006, 06:46 AM
Yep, what Redwood said, just one bead of glue on one side and I've found that there is enough moisture in the timber to set the glue off.
You may find the foam easier to remove if you let it go off then remove it.

Rosethorn
20th January 2006, 08:13 AM
Poly as in polyurethane glue? I put glue on one side of the joint and have water in a trigger spray bottle and spray the other edge as I am clamping up- that way the glue doesn't go off too quickly, especially when doing door and windows
cheers

Zoot
31st January 2006, 05:54 PM
If you are looking for a strong slow setting glue, have a look at my post in General Woodwork ... Styrene Acrylate Glue.
There must be a way that I can include a reference in my posts, but I have not worked that out yet.

Regards,
Zoot