PDA

View Full Version : Turned chess knight (rough)

CameronPotter
21st January 2006, 05:41 PM
Hi all,

As promised here is my go at a chess knight.

It is only rough and I didn't sand or oil or even try to do it very cleanly... But it gives you the idea that I was aiming for.

I think that it worked OK, but needs a few refinements.

Undercutting the horses chin was tough as the wood was still behind where I was cutting.

Cam

Wood Butcher
21st January 2006, 05:46 PM
Great to see that your idea worked for you Cameron. Looking forward to seeing the completed set :D

Bruce101
30th May 2006, 10:03 PM
Cam,
Good to see your idea... I've been trying to turn/carve this piece for some time with little success.... and many frustrations and wood discards.
tks
Bruce:rolleyes:

CameronPotter
31st May 2006, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I can't carve, so I needed another option.

The two headed knight worked fairly well.

Cam

ss_11000
1st June 2006, 04:44 PM
have you done any more pieces yet?

CameronPotter
1st June 2006, 04:47 PM
Nope. I, um, got distracted with pens and stuff...

Actually, I also stuffed up the board I was making, and so the pieces didn't have anywhere to live...

Someday I will get back to it - soon I hope.

Cam

Andy Mac
1st June 2006, 09:42 PM
Hi Cam,
That's a pretty good result, and the turning under must be a challenge.
The chess set with board must be a common stopper.... I know I've started a board and never completed it, but always at the back of my mind is that thought of all those pieces stretched out in front of me! Glad I didn't finish it in hindsight.:D I just don't get into production runs of anything, even a pair of handles is challenge enough!!:o

Cheers,

CameronPotter
2nd June 2006, 10:07 AM
Yep. I can understand that. I don't like production runs, but I LOVE chess, so it will be done one day...

The problem is that I was wanting to make it solid, without a jointer... :eek:

Cam

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd June 2006, 06:42 PM
The trick here is to make the board first. Once that's finished, then turn your hand towards the pieces. In the meantime, just to get some use out of the board during the years it'll take to make all those damned pawns :rolleyes:, turn a spindle to 2cm(ish) dia. and chop it down into draughtsmen. You can even flip the pieces over and draw chess designations on the bottoms of the pieces as a stop-gap measure if you really want to play chess.

It works... and works well. DAMHIKT. :o

CameronPotter
2nd June 2006, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I plan to make the board soon, but as I said, it is the jointing that disuades me a little. Hmmm...

TTIT
2nd June 2006, 11:33 PM
Yeah, I plan to make the board soon, but as I said, it is the jointing that disuades me a little. Hmmm...

Mine's been on the ToDo list since you were in primary school Cam :o- one day.....:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd June 2006, 01:07 AM
Jointing? Wuffo? Even a properly adjusted Triton TS works well. A thicknesser is nice to thickness the initial strips, but hardly necessary... the TS or BS (my preference!) does the job well enough. Once the squares are assembled and glued up, it doesn't take much to plane or sand it all to a level playing field. ;)

CameronPotter
3rd June 2006, 07:43 AM
I have a thicknesser and a bandsaw, but no TS.

Last time I tried it was a bit of a mess - then to tried to joint it with a router table, and the wood kinda flew apart... :(

I will try it again - I promise.

cricket
5th June 2006, 11:30 PM
How ya going fellas , I,ve built my chess board but not my chess pieces ! I want to build a bat gammon board o by the way my checker pieces out of sheoak & bansia pods!:) has any body got plans for a bat gammon board please?

savage
7th June 2006, 08:35 PM
G'Day Cam,

I have made my chess board and nearly all of the pieces, I will try to take some piccies and post them in the next few days, it may give you some ideas, I think they are a very personel thing to make as each has there own taste.:)

CameronPotter
8th June 2006, 11:40 AM
I'll look forward to seeing them!

savage
8th June 2006, 07:31 PM
Cam,

Here is my near complete Chess set and board, there is a white plastic film canister to give some perspective, hope it gives you some idea's. They where turned down on my home made wood lathe, not my new GMC.

ss_11000
8th June 2006, 08:41 PM
nice work eric.....particularly like the effect of the grain it the light pieces of the board.....have a greenie

savage
8th June 2006, 08:53 PM
nice work eric.....particularly like the effect of the grain it the light pieces of the board.....have a greenie
Thanks, the board is made of pine and pacific maple as are the chess pieces.

ss_11000
8th June 2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks, the board is made of pine and pacific maple as are the chess pieces.

i thought it was pine, anyway i thought it was cool how you arranged the grain

CameronPotter
9th June 2006, 05:55 PM
Very nice... :D

rodent
10th June 2006, 03:20 AM
darlows second book shows how he turns a ring profile then cuts off the pieces he also shows a profile of australia he did .

Bob38S
10th June 2006, 01:40 PM
Tasmanian horse Cam???
:D:):D

CameronPotter
10th June 2006, 02:38 PM
I'll pay that one! Nice call... :D