PDA

View Full Version : using a face plate as a sander

ss_11000
25th January 2006, 01:15 PM
hi peoples

i'm kinda new to this thing and i need a disc sander but i dont have enough money at the moment. i was wondering if you could use the face plate with sand paper stuck to it. also if thats possible, how do you stick it to it with out it being permanent?:)

thanx

stirlo

Taffsmania
25th January 2006, 01:32 PM
Hi Stirlo.
I'm Making one that has a 8 inch plywood circle glue the sandpaper to the ply screw the ply to the faceplate not pretty but should work.
Keith

ss_11000
25th January 2006, 01:36 PM
hi taffsmania

thanx for the tips

stirlo

arose62
25th January 2006, 06:08 PM
Most craft shops sell spray on remountable adhesive. It's designed to hold temporarily, and peel off easily.

It's what I use to stick sandpaper to the MDF disk I use on my lathe for sanding.

Cheers,
Andrew

Sprog
25th January 2006, 06:11 PM
hi peoples

i'm kinda new to this thing and i need a disc sander but i dont have enough money at the moment. i was wondering if you could use the face plate with sand paper stuck to it. also if thats possible, how do you stick it to it with out it being permanent?:)

thanx

stirlo

Make a disc out of MDF or plywood.
Stick a sanding disk to it with Sanding Disc Cement. Timbecon part number - TITSD-0237.
Sanding Disk Cement (http://www.timbecon.com.au/products/adhesives-371_0.aspx)

or

Use the Hook and Loop kit available from Timbecon.
Hook and Loop Kit (http://www.timbecon.com.au/details/hook-loop-starter-packs-10195.aspx)

ticklingmedusa
26th January 2006, 07:26 PM
Keith Rowlys book Woodturning a Foundation Course illustrates a sander like that. Maybe your library has a copy or can order one.
tm

DavidG
26th January 2006, 10:04 PM
Then make a woden box/table top to fit on the bed so you have a nice flat/square surface to work from.

Wayne Blanch
31st January 2006, 11:08 PM
I used to have an old GMC type of lathe:mad: but about 18 months ago I got a new lathe:D and turned the GMC into a sander. All I did was mount a piece of MDF on the faceplate, stuck strips of the hook side of velcro (purchased from a craft shop) to the MDF with glue. I use the sanding discs that you can get with the felt like backing (The ones I'm using at the moment are "Norton Sanding Discs" ) I cut the bed off the lathe and then bolted the remainder to a bench. I built a stand that I position in front of the faceplate/sander and there you go. I find that it works great as a sander, it certainly works better as a sander than it ever did as a lathe!!!!