PDA

View Full Version : Where to by good cheap wood in Tasmania??

swiftden
26th January 2006, 06:17 PM
Hello I am planning a holiday for 7 days to tassie and would love to know good places where i can buy cheap wood turning blanks for bowls and pens etc. I would like to buy enough to fill a couple of boxes and then post them back to my self. Is there any trouble with posting timber from tassie to SA???

Please help me any of you Tassie folk :)

ozwinner
26th January 2006, 06:20 PM
Enjoy your holiday, Tass is THE place for a relaxing holiday.
The timber is not too bad either. :rolleyes:

Al :)

redwood
26th January 2006, 06:59 PM
Swift, grab a little chainsaw and around midnight go intp the styx valley you can have al the timber you can carry out;)

swiftden
26th January 2006, 08:28 PM
i want to buy the timber not rip it out of a forest .

Harry II
26th January 2006, 08:47 PM
let someone else rip it out then buy it if it makes you feel better:D seriously though have you tried searching this forum, i'm sure i've seen info on Tas wood locations, even last week i think.

redwood
26th January 2006, 08:49 PM
who would miss a maingy 300yo old tree thats gunna fall down soon anyway... it will keep this forum supplied for ages:D :D

TimberNut
26th January 2006, 09:01 PM
swiftden,

I posted the same question in another section of these forums (general woodwork) a couple of days ago.

see
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=256652

I'll be headed to Tassie in about 3 weeks. but as I'm headed from Sydney I'll be taking a motorhome on the Spirit of Tasmania.
Luckily, there's plenty of storage space on it that I intend to fill with plenty of Sassafrass, Huon Pine, and any other goodies I can lay my hands on!!!

I'd also welcome a couple more suggestions, particularly from turners.

TTIT
26th January 2006, 11:41 PM
swiftden,

I'll be headed to Tassie in about 3 weeks. but as I'm headed from Sydney I'll be taking a motorhome on the Spirit of Tasmania.
Luckily, there's plenty of storage space on it that I intend to fill with plenty of Sassafrass, Huon Pine, and any other goodies I can lay my hands on!!!

I'd also welcome a couple more suggestions, particularly from turners.

Suggestion:- Squeeze a chainsaw in the motorhome too!

swiftden
27th January 2006, 07:08 AM
Sorry i asked the question. i must have missed your post even tho i read the new posts ever day. just looking for some advice that was all . Regards

TimberNut
27th January 2006, 09:46 AM
hey swifty!

no apology necessary.

I wasn't posting to tell you it'd been done, rather put the link to that thread just to save me pasting all that information for you into this thread (just me being lazy, hehe). I hope the information helps.

TTIT - hmmm. SWMBO thinks we are 'sightseeing'. Gotta find some suitable excuse for the chainsaws inclusion.....(or maybe just hide it in there and hope she doesn't stumble over it!)

CameronPotter
27th January 2006, 10:09 AM
I haven't looked at the other post...

But here are a few that I would recommend:

Kev Morse (down at Margate - south of Hobart). He is a nice guy and is on this forum as Kev M. Send him a PM to ask about prices.

There are two guys at Salamanca, the major Saturday market. One (can't remember his name) is about in the middle and is beside a fruit stall. Sells very nice quality wood that is all salvaged, but it is also wet. The other is a bit closer to the silos end (away from the CBD). It is run by a guy called Don Dickinson. He sells dry wood that is also good, but I think it is marginally more expensive and I have had better luck in finding extremely nice pieces (as opposed to only really very nice pieces) from the other stall.

There is also a wood shop up in Oatlands that isn't bad, but I don't know what the prices are like...

I am sure that there are more, but these are the ones I know about.

Cam

Mezaire
27th January 2006, 11:18 PM
My family is from tassie and on a recent trip back my brother found a place called Enchanter Timbers near Geevston. Sue is the lady who runs the show and from all reports she has a pretty impressive selection.

ozwinner
27th January 2006, 11:24 PM
. Sue is the lady who runs the show and from all reports she has a pretty impressive selection.

And what about her timber??

Al :D

Mezaire
27th January 2006, 11:32 PM
Haha, yes well I suppose I asked for that.

Mezaire
27th January 2006, 11:48 PM
Sorry got it wrong. It's Enchanted Woods!!!

prav
28th January 2006, 10:31 PM
Just returned from a trip in Tassie where I did a bit of wood buying (much to my girlfriend displeasure!!). We mainly did the north and west coasts. And we will need to go back.
Anyway the good places that I found for blanks were around stanley
Cockatoo timbers were excellent and amongst the cheapest I found- beautiful myrtle - wet though will need to season
LK Davis in Mawbanna- similar comments to above. There are a number of other mills in this area.
Radford woodcrafts in Tullah (great woodturning but no wood for sale)
Tasmanian special timbers in Strahan (great for huon pine) and the mill next door
Island speciality timbers in Geeveston -great range but more exxie than I thought it would
There is also a woodturning shop in Ross which sold cheap seasoned blanks
Stocked up on blackheart sassafras, myrtle, huon pine and a few other timbers
Have fun. its a lovely place.
prav

rick_rine
28th January 2006, 10:44 PM
I've got a lovely macracarpa slab that I paid good money for ten years ago that needs a good home . Its 1000mm in diam and 150 mm thick .
Applications invited .

Kind Regards
Rick

rsser
30th January 2006, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I can endorse Cockatoo as well.

Do a search on this forum or the timber one - there was a lengthy thread late '04 or early '05 from memory.

I only visited 4 or 5 when I was there last year and felt that most of what was on display was a bit disappointing - as dear as what I pay in Melb and often green.

Depends of course on what you want and the supply varies too depending on what's being harvested or salvaged at the time.

DanJ
31st January 2006, 07:09 AM
Good luck with that. If anyone knows of more distant swaps of wood species and samples, I am interested.

Dan Johnson
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

reeves
1st February 2006, 01:48 PM
mate have agreat time...
down sth of hobart look at

tasman Jim in castle Forbes bay
Shane Downt timbers at Longley
tas specialty timbers at Geeveston..
others at margate..

midlands see
Class Timbers at Ross
others in Ross
in stanley See Cockatoo and the other bloke Neville..
just sth of the turnoff to the Town..he had so much in his huge shed..

U MUST go the Strahan and checkout the morrsions sawmill on the docks plus the other one on the way out of town to the beach...

also check out the Salamanca markets on staurdays lots of wood available..

cheeeeers
john

luke '74
2nd February 2006, 04:37 PM
if you are after Huon pine the morrison saw mill in Queenstown is pprobably the best and cheepest. although it is quite a drive from any where else.

if you are on the north coast, for an awesome range of products see Rob Keogh at Britton Timbers. 3 Brittons road Smithton 7330 ph 03 64522566.

if you are down south, about 60 kms south of Hobart in the Huon valley is Geeveston and Forestry Tasmania have an outlet Called Island Specialty Timbers.(Cemetry rd Geeveston 7116) ph 03 62971479. they usually have a good range and they can also mill to sizes and arrange postage

Jean
9th April 2006, 09:53 PM
We were into wood turning and other wood craft products for the tourist trade but due to illness my husband has had to stop, he has a fair amount of timber for sale to anyone who can make use of it. Some HUON, Blackheart+spalted sassafras planks, Blackwood, small chunks of Myrtle Burl, Myrtle planks and lots of bits and pieces also a STUBBY 750 LATHE. We live in the N.W. of Tassie, Rocky Cape not far from Stanley.

ss_11000
9th April 2006, 10:10 PM
We were into wood turning and other wood craft products for the tourist trade but due to illness my husband has had to stop, he has a fair amount of timber for sale to anyone who can make use of it. Some HUON, Blackheart+spalted sassafras planks, Blackwood, small chunks of Myrtle Burl, Myrtle planks and lots of bits and pieces also a STUBBY 750 LATHE. We live in the N.W. of Tassie, Rocky Cape not far from Stanley.

you might want to chuck this in buy sell and swap forum to, may get more ppl to read it. sounds like some good turning woods there

Toymaker Len
10th April 2006, 03:33 PM
Don't miss the State Forest salvage yard in Strahan. It was full of huon pine last time I was there.