PDA

View Full Version : Elu Accessories

Marty Lott
25th October 2001, 09:35 AM
Hi
I'm looking for a drill chuck for a Elu lathe model DB 180. I've done a fair bit of searching already but no luck...is Elu still in existence ?
Cheers.

STEPHEN MILLER
2nd November 2001, 02:28 PM
Marty
Most lathes I have seen all have a morse taper to take drill chucks be it a no 1 taper no. 2 etc. so check out your tailstock and if it is a taper go a long to your local power tool shop for a suitable chuck and if you have adrill press the one in that might fit . Hope this helps
Steve

RETIRED
2nd November 2001, 05:35 PM
Gooday.

Stephen, the Elu has a strange fitting on all their lathes. They lock in like a bayonet light bulb and secured with a thumb screw.

Marty, I don't know if Elu are around or not.You may have to get a tame engineer to fit a chuck for you.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

Iain
2nd November 2001, 08:29 PM
, wouldn't Dewalt have some parts in stock as they swallowed up ELU with some others?

Marty Lott
3rd November 2001, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the info guys, the main reason I'm looking for a drill chuck is so I can operate my W.A.S.P. I bought for the lathe. Doncha hate it when ya buy an accessory only to find you can't use it ?? AAARRGHHHH !!

reuelt
3rd November 2003, 08:30 AM
I too have an ELU DB180.

The spindle is M18mmx2.5 RH but there is no morse taper on the headstock nor the tailstock.

This means that you can get the Technatool "Supernova" chuck or the Bonham "Bon 100" Scroll Chuck as both these chucks can be purchased with M18 x 2.5 RH inserts (adapters).

The Supernova or the Bon 100 have many attractive optional Jaws.

Also as 18mm x 2.5mm RH is only nearly the same size as 3/4"x10tpi (actually only slightly smaller), you can actually use accessories built with 3/4"x10tpi RH threads if desperate.

I once made my own Jacob drill chuck by silver soldering & brazing a 3/4"x10tpi nut to a drill chuck with a female Morse No. 3 taper. It still works. I have also cut an adaptor using turned wood, 3/4" bolt and a 3/4 half nut and epoxy so that the same drill chuck can fit into the ELU DB180's tail stock. I once bought an indendent 4-jaw chuck from Bunnings for $65 - it works if I just put in a suitable plastic washer as spacer first.

My ELU DB180 a good lathe with 48" between centers 15" spin and 1.5HP motor - good vintage? German Technology.