PDA

View Full Version : chisels from carba tec

ss_11000
28th January 2006, 02:30 PM
hi all

has any used these chisels from carba tec?. r they any good?
they r the $99 set

http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/images/product/TJ-6.jpg

Stirlo:D

Taffsmania
28th January 2006, 03:06 PM
Hi Stirlo.
I bought a set last week have not used them yet but thought why ruin a very expensive chisel while learning to sharpen,they are HSS but how good ??
Keith.:p

Sprog
28th January 2006, 03:39 PM
They are OK for the price, good to learn with especially sharpening.
Need more frequent sharpening than the branded quality chisels.

smidsy
28th January 2006, 08:24 PM
Had a set for nearly 2 years and so far they work well - not as good as the hamletts but still capable of some great work and well worth the money.
Cheers
Paul

ss_11000
28th January 2006, 09:14 PM
hi guys

thanx for all your help!!

stirlo

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th January 2006, 01:52 AM
Yup. I started with a really cheap chaiwanese set (about $15-??) and learned how to sharpen on 'em. Then I upgraded to the set you're looking at, which was a major improvement. I won't buy a second set, I've moved on to the next price bracket (where for $99 you only get one chisel... without a handle at that!) but I don't regret buying that set, it served me well.

Still does, actually, just not as often. ;)

ss_11000
3rd April 2006, 10:56 PM
hey guys, my birffy's in a few days(11/04) and i'm getting the above chisels for a prezzie.....yay, ordered em today (my relos are bringing them dow for me as they is coming here for easter). once again thanx for your opinions on them.

hughie
4th April 2006, 01:35 AM
[
quote=ss_11000]hey guys, my birffy's in a few days(11/04) and i'm getting the above chisels for a prezzie.....yay, ordered em today (my relos are bringing them dow for me as they is coming here for easter). once again thanx for your opinions on them.[/QUOTE]

Hey Stirlo, Happy Birthday! The Carbatec are good for the price and they will serve you well.
hughie:)

soundman
4th April 2006, 10:42 PM
Purchasing the carbatec set of chisels that you speak of is more or less considered a right of passage for the beginner turner & hey they work fine particulary after you reshape them properly.

A number of places will sell you a similar set.

The other cheap set to think about is the hare & forbes set with the red handles. This set is different to the one spoken of and gives you some more profiles and variety.

this kit is easy to distinguish as all the chisels are the same length & there are more in the box.

Once you get going you will probaly want to replace the handles with some longer better ones.

cheers

ss_11000
4th April 2006, 10:50 PM
The other cheap set to think about is the hare & forbes set with the red handles. This set is different to the one spoken of and gives you some more profiles and variety.

this kit is easy to distinguish as all the chisels are the same length & there are more in the box.

Once you get going you will probaly want to replace the handles with some longer better ones.

cheers

longer handles on some tools helps me alot, thats why i went for the ct hss ones

Wood Butcher
4th April 2006, 10:55 PM
Stirlo, you're a woodturner! You never buy chisels because of their handles!!!!
I bought some turning chisels years ago and half of them would now have new handles that I made to better suit my style of use.

ss_11000
4th April 2006, 10:59 PM
Stirlo, you're a woodturner! You never buy chisels because of their handles!!!!
I bought some turning chisels years ago and half of them would now have new handles that I made to better suit my style of use.

i haven't figured out how to remove the old handles, i've tried but with no success:o :confused:

RETIRED
5th April 2006, 12:14 AM
To remove the handles.

Hold the blade furthest from the handle in one hand with the handle down.

Using a skew chisel hold it with the blade flat against the blade of the chisel in your hand.

With a sharp movement slide the skew chisel down towards the ferrule on the handle. A couple of raps should get it off.

Easy to show, hard to describe.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th April 2006, 12:49 AM
Failing that, there's always a bit of kero and a match.

Just keep the above thought in mind while you're trying 's method and you'll be surprised at how easily the handles seperate. :D

ss_11000
5th April 2006, 08:52 AM
thanx , just tried it and your instructions were good, didn't have to revert to skews back up plan:D :eek: . and yes skew, i was suprised at how easy it separated

Slow6
5th April 2006, 08:14 PM
Gday Stirlo.

I picked up that very set from Cabatec when I picked up my first lathe a few months ago.
I buggered one of the handles pretty quick and made a replacement out of a scrap of old redgum.
on advice from some of our good members I've made the remaining handles a lot longer.. copper pipe worked a treat for ferrules.

long story short.. although they aren't the best tools around and need constant sharpening, they now look a million bucks and I get a lot more pleasure out of using them with better weighted handles.

I usually give the tool I'm using a quick strop with some very fine sand paper if it's getting dull and I dont want to leave the lathe.. I might be making the turning gods roll over in their graves but it works well for me.

cheers mate.

Tiger
6th April 2006, 10:02 PM
Got a set of chisels with the red handles when I bought my lathe. As will testify the roughing gouge and the spindle gouge are made of some very weak steel, these tools are virtually useless. You get what you pay for is a truism and it's particularly true of woodturning tools.

ss_11000
9th May 2006, 09:58 PM
had em for almost a month now....bloody awesome ( at least compared to my cs set )

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th May 2006, 10:10 PM
That's what counts. :)