PDA

View Full Version : General comment on the new format

vGolfer
29th January 2006, 09:58 AM
I don't want to be overly critical or anything as this is a fantastic resource and has helped me immensely during my renos but I just wanted to give my 2c worth on the new format of splitting the forum into sub categories.

Although in theory it seems like a good idea, I don't think there were that many new posts in a day to warrant such a move. Now instead of it taking me a few minutes to browse the forum for new messages, it takes quite a bit longer and there doesn't seem to be as much flow...

Like I said it's just my 2c and I'll probably end up liking it, but just interested to hear what others think.

cheers

Termite
29th January 2006, 10:10 AM
Why don't you just click on "New Posts" and it will do the work for you?

vGolfer
29th January 2006, 10:13 AM
Why don't you just click on "New Posts" and it will do the work for you?

Doh...told you I'd start to like it!

I have never even noticed that link before! Thanks for that.

Sir Stinkalot
29th January 2006, 04:34 PM
I only ever use the "new posts" button .... and I am amazed when I need to post a new questions as there are allways new sub catagories that I have never seen before.

Wood Butcher
29th January 2006, 04:56 PM
For those who haven't seen this, this is Neils reply to another thread

To ***** - You could subscribe to the Home Renovations Forum and set yourself up to receive daily, weekly or monthly email telling you of new posts in all sections There are easier ways than wading through 10 forums.

Doing it with a heap of subject specific forums will make it easier in the long run to find subject specific posts. The search engine is only as good as the criteria you give it and can easily miss a lot of pertinent posts.

To anyone else who doesn't like it........ Give it a fair go to see how well it works. In 3 months time let us know your feelings about it, and if the overwhelming majority say they hate it and want it back the way it was I will consider doing it.

It has taken a number of people many tedious hours of hard work to get it to where it is now and for the moment I have no intention of undoing all their great work just because a couple of people aren't happy or don't like it.

Every time something is changed on these forums there are 1 or 2 who find fault and complain. Fair enough too (we need constructive criticism from time to time to help us grow) however the other 9,206 members for some reason either don't complain or give accolades and our membership just keeps growing.

"If you build it, they will come." Well we built it and they continue to come. Makes me think that we must be doing something right.

Cheers - Neil :)

chromis
29th January 2006, 08:39 PM
Being someone that likes to have a box for everything..and everything in a box..

I like it!

Ivan in Oz
29th January 2006, 09:05 PM
>Being someone that likes to have a box for everything..and everything in a >box..
> I like it!
Chromis,
What size Box:confused:
What Joints, Tongue-and-Groove:eek: :o

John Saxton
29th January 2006, 10:22 PM
I like the reno format forums and in all regards must attribute all kudos to Neil and his team for progressive and forward thinking in catering to the burgeoning interest to all of us that aspire to home ownership and improvement.

It goes without saying that not only has this BB effected all the responses possible but has continued to project the bounderies on all facets of working with wood whereas other BB's fail to recognise and support within the medium.

With this view in mind I don't see the necessity to spend much time on other forums.

Just my opinions.
Cheers:) :)

vGolfer
30th January 2006, 09:26 AM
Again, just a comment. It seems like the number of posts has dropped a bit since the new format.

chromis
30th January 2006, 04:22 PM
Again, just a comment. It seems like the number of posts has dropped a bit since the new format.
This could be attributed to the topics being easier to search and answers found, resulting in a decrease of duplicate questions and thus making the resource all that more valuable. <o =""></o>
<o =""></o>
Or it could be because everyone really hates the new format and in protest are simply refusing to post. <o =""></o>
<o =""></o>
Hmmmm! <o =""></o>

<o ="">
</o>

Termite
30th January 2006, 04:40 PM
You will find over a period of time that the forum does ebb and flow a bit, in the same way we seem to go through a period of "happy and funny" and a swing to "crappy and arguing".

I'm sure somewhere there is a monitoring tool busy at work, but even on a day to day basis things vary. Weekends tend to be quiet during the day and don't come alive until beer o'clock.
Mondays are usually quiet in the mornings and most days activity picks up around lunch time and dies off about 10 to 5, and then picks up again about 6.
Friday evening seems to be a bit quieter than other nights, maybe club or pub or take SWMBO out night.

Termite
30th January 2006, 04:43 PM
This could be attributed to the topics being easier to search and answers found, resulting in a decrease of duplicate questions and thus making the resource all that more valuable. <o =""></o>
<o =""></o>
Or it could be because everyone really hates the new format and in protest are simply refusing to post. <o =""></o>
<o =""></o>
Hmmmm! <o =""></o> <o ="">
</o>
Well I always use "New Posts" and didn't even know there was a "New Format" until this post, quite a few others do the same so I personally don't think that the "New Format" has anything to do with the volume of posts.

Ashore
30th January 2006, 04:52 PM
vGolfer
You might also want to try Quick Links and click on todays posts

Rgds

Sturdee
30th January 2006, 04:59 PM
Or it could be because everyone really hates the new format and in protest are simply refusing to post.

Most of us use the new post button so it makes not much difference to viewing the posts. However in searching a topic this new format will help and I appreciate the work gone into it. Well done.

I just don't like that the skin, being " home reno", overides my preferred settings :( but I'll live with that.

Peter.

ozwinner
30th January 2006, 05:03 PM
"crappy and arguing".

:mad: NO WE DONT:mad:

Al :D

Termite
30th January 2006, 05:26 PM
:mad: NO WE DONT:mad:

Al :D
:mad: Oh yes we do!:mad: ;)

chromis
30th January 2006, 06:43 PM
Well I always use "New Posts" and didn't even know there was a "New Format" until this post, quite a few others do the same so I personally don't think that the "New Format" has anything to do with the volume of posts.

Youre quoting the wrong person :) I'm on the love new format side.

pharmaboy2
31st January 2006, 07:24 AM
New posts function would work a lot better if it referenced where you were when you pressed it, for example if you are in "home renovation" main heading, then new post should search all of "home renovation", so you end up with the same page as previously available for the people who drop in to help.

At the main page, new posts would return what it does now.

I dont think I will be looking at what is on 7 or 8 forums just to look at whether someone who is asking for help needs it, nor trolling through 100 new posts all over the whole site.

.... trying to be constructive.... ;)

Shannon
31st January 2006, 02:06 PM
Is done, Is good:)

That's some good work you guys have put in. Things will be heaps easier to find and it will mean less duplication.
I guess somewhere soon there will be a poll though :D

ozwinner
31st January 2006, 06:03 PM
New posts function would work a lot better if it referenced where you were when you pressed it, for example if you are in "home renovation" main heading, then new post should search all of "home renovation", so you end up with the same page as previously available for the people who drop in to help.

At the main page, new posts would return what it does now.

I dont think I will be looking at what is on 7 or 8 forums just to look at whether someone who is asking for help needs it, nor trolling through 100 new posts all over the whole site.

.... trying to be constructive.... ;)

If you go to any forum and click Forum Tools at the top right of page, you can subscribe to the forum you are currently viewing..
So in future when someone posts to that forum you will be notified by email.

Easy....:cool:

Al :)