PDA

View Full Version : segmented turning

AJcairns
30th January 2006, 07:48 PM
Hi
thought i would post some photos of my first open segmented bowl timbers are kwila,silver ash,tassie oak,yellow walnut,blackbean,
ng rosewood .give me your thoughts good or bad ,finish is u-beaut

catch u latter
AJ

dai sensei
30th January 2006, 07:56 PM
Looks Ok to me AJ.

I made something similar for my first one, out of Silver Ash and Blackbean. I used MitreFix for glue then, but use CA these days. What glue did you use?

Cheers

AJcairns
30th January 2006, 08:23 PM
dai sensei
I used titebond 3 reading all the specks it is water proof??? will find out as it is present and is going to be used

AJ

macca2
30th January 2006, 10:55 PM
Yep, good one. Was this your own design or from a plan.
If it was from a plan. Is the plan available.

macca

hughie
31st January 2006, 01:27 PM
AJ,
looks good to me as well. I did one somewhat similar in fiddleback Meranti, used pva the water proof variety from Bunnys.
hughie

ss_11000
31st January 2006, 02:07 PM
looks good.

gotta try that one day

dazzler
31st January 2006, 07:14 PM
Hi

You woodturners:mad:

Bloody show offs the lotta ya's:D

dazzler

AJcairns
31st January 2006, 09:16 PM
macca2
I have a programme that works out for you I can fax to you if you email me and will send

catch u latter
AJ

Lance Stunning
24th March 2006, 04:56 AM
21007I'm new to the board. I just saw your first segmented bowl. You folks have a better selection of hardwoods. The attachment was a second segmented turning using stave construction (maple, padauk, yellowheart, ebony) and wood glue finished with acrylic.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th March 2006, 06:50 PM
G'day Lance, nice turning!

How did you calculate the mitre-angle on the staves? 'Tis easy to calculate for normal segmented turnings (where all joints in a ring are parallel to one axis) but for tapered joints... :(

Don't s'pose you're using nomograms you'd be willing to share?

Wooden Goodies
24th March 2006, 11:18 PM
Very nice work! I was at the book store just last night reading about staved turning, all the angles...whew! I would like to try it sometime. Again nice work.
Dana

Lance Stunning
25th March 2006, 06:35 AM
I'll admit to using a trigonometry formula and my son's calculator. But, it was really tiring followed by lengthy sessions of adult beverages. I now use a program called woodturnerpro. Does the calculations, and draws the corresponding rings, staves, veneers etc. Here's the website: http://www.woodturnerpro.com (http://www.woodturnerpro.com/). This guy cuts his parts on TS and a sled. I do mine on a chop saw. I try to have the grain chasing around the circumference. It's a big help. Lloyd Johnson is the developer and fellow turner. He has helped me on several occasions.

If you have seen the rolling pin with elliptical laminations posted, I'm making the same as a vase using veneers: padauk, yellowhear, purple heart, bubinga, and poplar as the base stock.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th March 2006, 06:44 PM
Now that'll save me some headaches. :) Thank you!