PDA

View Full Version : Styrene Acrylate Glue

Zoot
31st January 2006, 01:46 PM
I have been looking for a slow setting PVA Glue for gluing up dovetail boxes and other small joinery where normal PVA is too quick off the mark. I know there is an AV140 PVA glue with a setting time of about 20 minutes ... it is available from Laminex Industries, but only in 5 litre bottles.

I purchased a small bottle of "Multihesive" made by Prep Products at Revesby (Sydney suburb for interstaters!). It is made from Styrene Acrylate, dries clear, sticks to almost anything including timber, metal glass etc and what suits me is that it has about 30 to 90 minutes setting time ... plenty of time to assemble.

The manufacturers claim that this glue supercedes PVA! Has anyone had any longer term experience with this glue?

Cheers,
Zoot

greenie512
31st January 2006, 04:59 PM
Zoot - that looks interesting, I've been trying Poly glue for a longer open time and found that good - but this looks promising!!

Where did you buy the glue from, I'm up in Brisbane? how much does it cost?

When you've tried using it post back with results.

Cheers - Phil

Zoot
31st January 2006, 05:11 PM
Phil, I bought it at Home Hardware for about $15, if my memory serves me correctly.
I have been using it for all sorts of things so far ... laminating a hardwood straight edge, even gluing leather pads on a few G clamps to protect my finished timber ... I think it will be great.

Regards,

Alan