PDA

View Full Version : Hand caped turners

river rat
31st January 2006, 02:38 PM
I was ask by a very nice lady to try and teach her to turn. The problem is she is blind. She is an artist and did carpentry work before going lossing her sight. I know that there are turners that have other handycaps and was wondering if anyone has any experice with blind people and turning.

River Rat

Baz
31st January 2006, 07:15 PM
A well known aussie turner Mike StClair successfuly taught a young blind man to turn here in Canberra about 20 years ago. I don't know if he is still turning and I cannot recall his name.
Cheers
Barry

echnidna
31st January 2006, 08:45 PM
I have seen a video of a blind man safely using a Symtec lathe.
It would have to be my lathe of choice for anyone who is blind.

Sadly symtec seems to have gone down the gurgler so probably the only way to get one is second hand.

Wayne Blanch
31st January 2006, 10:34 PM
This probably isn't a great deal of help, but my now dead Grandfather was blind and also was a pretty talented wood turner. Most of his work was bowls and lidded containers. Unfortunately he was self taught so I am unable to give any pointers. One thing about his work was that although you could see some minor faults in the work you could not feel anything. He did mostly ask a sighted person to look at his work before he finished it to point out things that he could not determine by feel. Obviously he was extreeeeemly particular about the state of his workshop and where all items were stored. Everything in its place etc. The lathe that he used was only a home made cheapie but he had ensured that there were extra guards around the faceplate/chuck so that he could tell where his hands were in relation to the chuck. I think that these were less guards than guides for him. Unfortunately when he passed away the lathe was given away so I can not give you any photos or further details. Sorry I couldnt help More.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st February 2006, 06:58 PM
In a recent mag I read, I think 'twas the Dec. issue of Woodturning (UK) there was an article on a blind turner who lost his sight in WW2. Bullet through the head, taking out both eyes. He also had a large bandsaw and apparently wasn't afraid to use it to it's full capacity.

Thought provoking...

Tony Morton
1st February 2006, 09:50 PM
Hi River Rat
I seem to remember a chapter in a wood turning book by F W Payne on his teaching of blind and handicaped turners that was in the early seventys.

Cheers Tony

macca2
1st February 2006, 09:58 PM
Yep Skew you'r spot on. The article is on page 20 of December issue of "Woodturning".
The article is by Stanley Hyams is about Arik Ben-Israel who lost his sight in WW2.
The pics show some real nice work.

(and I think a bad back is a problem)

Macca