PDA

View Full Version : whats a good lathe

smurph
4th February 2006, 06:13 PM
i was just wondering if anyone could tell me some good woodlathe brands and where to buy them in australia and for a good price for a 15 yr old because i just got the money back for my 3rd GMC lathe:mad: and i need a knew one

rsser
4th February 2006, 06:37 PM
Hi Smurph,

Good question.

Lotta folks start with one of the Chinese/Taiwanese variants of an MC900. Fraid they cost more than the GMC but they do work. They're available all round the place, even from web retailers.

Do a search of the forum.

MathewA
4th February 2006, 09:56 PM
Try www.carbatec.com.au (http://www.carbatec.com.au) and go to the woodturning section. They have some cheaper brands that should work for you.

martink
6th February 2006, 04:29 PM
You might want to try Hare and Forbes in Northmead (near parramatta) as they have a few lathes, had a quick look and noticed this one that might do the job you're after:- http://www.hareandforbes.com.au/sample_2/New_Products/pdf/W386_WL-20HD_lathe.pdf

Termite
6th February 2006, 04:39 PM
Hare and Forbes occasionaly have demo lathes on sale, a few blokes have picked them up quite reasonably. Give them a ring and explain who you are, they might come to the party for a chance to get a convert right from the start. :D Can't hurt to try. :D

ribot
21st February 2006, 06:40 PM
Why don't you get in touch with your local woodgroup, bend some ears and then look around on Ebay or garage sales, or weekend auctions.
Dad might kick in a few bucks if you drag him along.
I reckon you can't really go wrong with a lathe that has a good solid bed on it.

JackoH
22nd February 2006, 08:51 AM
Anyone who has had 3 GMC lathes deserves respect for their perserverance and tenacity! Keep your eye on e-bay and your local Trading Post, as well as the above commernts.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd February 2006, 12:37 AM
For a new lathe, I reckon Ern called it right: the MC-900 variants are about the bottom of the range of practical lathes. The last time I looked, they averaged about $500, including a throwaway chaiwanese chuck.

For a mini-lathe I'd suggest either a JET or a Ledacraft, which start at around the $300 mark.

The best thing to do with a GMC lathe (apart from walking past it in the shop) is rip the bed off and mount a large sanding-disk faceplate... :rolleyes:

hughie
23rd February 2006, 10:38 AM
Smurph,
All sounds like good advise, go for it. Carbatec have the equiv. of the MC900 for around 400 when I was there last. Which is slightly cheaper than Hare&Forbes. If your doing small stuff should be fine, other wise chuck a bag of cement or sand on the shelf below the lathe to stop the walz....lol
They have a tendancy to chop out the Taiwanese belt, dont worry the belt supplied is rubbish. Just pick up a local 'A' section belt and it will ok for long time.
Just make sure when you get it home, that all the pulleys etc are lined up and tight etc. On mine everything was loose and moving around. But apart from that, for the money you pay it does a good job.
hughie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th February 2006, 07:37 PM
I was just informed of a highly modified MC-900 for sale... I'll be having a look at it tomorrow with intent to buy. If I spend the readies, my MC-900 will be going into the "Buy, Sell 'n' Swap" thread sometime this week, probably for around $250-300.

I've no idea what freight from here to Lithgow would cost though...

ss_11000
24th February 2006, 07:45 PM
I was just informed of a highly modified MC-900 ...

highly modified......:confused:

please explain,

(is it more power like tim the 'tool man' taylor always liked:D )

p.s home improvement is in my top 10 of funniest shows:D

p.p.s highly modified sounds like fun:D

Caliban
24th February 2006, 08:20 PM
Check out your local high schools. I bought mine for $300 It is an old woodfast (20yrs) all because it doesn't meet the new oh&s requirements. Still worth about $3000 if it was new.
They have to sell them so why not ask.

ss_11000
24th February 2006, 08:26 PM
Check out your local high schools. I bought mine for $300 It is an old woodfast (20yrs) all because it doesn't meet the new oh&s requirements. Still worth about $3000 if it was new.

my schools got at least 8 woodfast lathes, do they have to sell these?

the school was built around 21 yrs ago, so i'm guessing the lathes are aroung 15-20 yrs old.

Jim Carroll
24th February 2006, 09:55 PM
With the woodfast lathes you will see a manufacture date on the casting at the tailstock end of the lathe . This will give you an idea of how old and reliable it is.

Wood Butcher
24th February 2006, 09:57 PM

at $300 you got an absolute bargain Jim. Or was that because you had inside contacts:rolleyes::p

ss_11000
24th February 2006, 10:09 PM
i'll look at the lathes at school on monday and have a chat to the ia teachers and see what they know about them

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th February 2006, 10:40 PM
highly modified......:confused:

please explain,

(is it more power like tim the 'tool man' taylor always liked:D )

Yes and No...

No, it's not powered by a blown big-block Ford 390/FMX auto (I wish!) but yes, more power. Along with increased accuracy and a far larger RPM range. :)

The first pic is the back of my "new" Sherpower badged MC-900. (Yes, I know... I only went to look at it today but it followed me home. :rolleyes: The reason I snapped the back is 'tis a heavy beast and I wasn't gonna turn it around just for a pic) It's over 8yo but the mods are pretty damned extensive. Bigger motor, 4-speed idler pulley supplementing the pre-existing variable speed drive, head & tailstock remilled/machined for improved accuracy. Basically, everything has been beefed up. I'm a happy chappy. :)

The second is my "old" Carbatec MC-900 which was bought new about a year ago. It's more or less standard, except for some minor mods like deburring the headstock swivel. You can see it started off in the same factory as the old beast.

Wood Butcher
25th February 2006, 11:08 PM
Skew, its nice to see photos of a shed that is kept the way it is supposed to be. NOT immaculately clean!! ;):D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th February 2006, 11:26 PM
'Tis a working shed... that is after being cleaned. :D

Once the lathes are swapped over I'll reinstall the dusty hood & floor sweep on the ducts in the pic.

Maybe.

If I get around to it before "testing" the new toy... errrmmm.. tool. :rolleyes:

Caliban
25th February 2006, 11:54 PM
at $300 you got an absolute bargain Jim. Or was that because you had inside contacts:rolleyes::p
Shhhhhh.;)